BlackJaxz and Blackheadz

Marshbum

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good today but had to work thru some ice to make it happen. When it did happen it happened pretty quick. Sausage fest on Ringers and Bills plus the oddball Drake Gad.

Good day. Anyone else get out?
20220128_122754.jpg

Dirtybird420

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Got our blue bills. Don’t think ring necks frequent our spot. Serious question how do you judge them on the wing. I’ve honestly seen en twice in my life swimming. Regardless nice shoot go out with a bang.

Marshbum

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Very hard. We were in a spot that was a serious concentration of them. Had at least 4 of the 7 on the shore before we even shot our first bill. Also.... they fly different. Ringers fly like teal but look like bills. In places were Bills are most prevalent we usually have to land them then look for the white outline/tip on the bill..... Then GAME ON!

Dirtybird420

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Very hard. We were in a spot that was a serious concentration of them. Had at least 4 of the 7 on the shore before we even shot our first bill. Also.... they fly different. Ringers fly like teal but look like bills. In places were Bills are most prevalent we usually have to land them then look for the white outline/tip on the bill..... Then GAME ON!
Interesting I’ve never shot one. I kno it’s late but next year if your in them an have room I’m down. Have boat will travel. Be a wall hanger for me if I can get a pretty one. Again nice shoot n glad someone has something to add to the bills.

RBurg44

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nice ringers only ever got to shoot at one large flock of them we all dropped two each all drakes but 1. Years ago on back river

mooseknuckle

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Had a bunch of Bootlips show up in my neighborhood. First I've shot all year. The light snow yesterday afternoon made for near perfect gunning:tu

bird junkie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Got our blue bills. Don’t think ring necks frequent our spot. Serious question how do you judge them on the wing. I’ve honestly seen en twice in my life swimming. Regardless nice shoot go out with a bang.

Been my experience ringnecks will usually do a big figure 8 when working the rig. Way more acrobatic in flight as well. We used to kill lots in December

Marshbum

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This is a really weird year for them. I have been hunting the installation since 2010 and I have only shot a few, typically in Early November during 2nd split when they seem to be passing thru. There have been a few exceptions in Dec/Jan but they are typically few and far between... typically miss the opportunity as we just assume they are/were bills. For some reason (this year) there is a particular spot they they are concentrated by the hundreds and they been hanging for a couple of weeks now. Likely as the spot can only be hunted on the weekends, holidays, or every other Friday.