Blast From the Past

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by 15thTN, Aug 8, 2019.

1. 15thTN

15thTN Senior Refuge Member

Hard to believe it's been nearly 10yrs ago. I'm the first caller. I had won the National Metal Reed right before this was filmed so distracted and made some mistakes. Still alot of fun!

callinfowl likes this.
  2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

@15thTN, do you remember where you placed?

3. 15thTN

In the champion of champions I placed 3rd I believe, but won the national championship right before that. Needless to say I was still pumped u! I won the national again the following year. Only 3 us won it 2 back to back.

4. 15thTN

Here's the pic with the winners and a list of past winners. They got my name wrong lol Forum regular Bill Cooksey has won it as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I need to get back up there. Don't believe I've been since I "defended" the Grand American in '06. The year I won the National Metal Reed I also won the Novice (big contest back then that usually had 40+ callers).

I snuck in on the metal Reed that year. Karl Lausman had a booth at the show and had a couple of metal reeds he'd made. Now I blew them a bunch growing up, but it had been many years. One was really pretty, so I picked it up and found I could present air almost like an AR style call. Karl said if I entered he would give me the call. So I did and after the first round had to show another caller and Mike that it really was a metal Reed.

6. xcallmaker

xcallmaker Senior Refuge Member

pretty sure they discontinued the metal reed contests, it would be great to bring it back again!

7. 15thTN

The Reelfoot call show and contests died a few years ago. People just quit going, and it slowly dwindled to really small crowds. Last year I went around 2012 it was at best a 1/10 the size it used to be.

Really sad, always loved that show. I suppose the internet killed it off. I think some call makers have a get together of sorts there still but I don't believe it's very big. The e Grand American and TN state got moved to Paris, and Final Flight had them the last I heard.