Blind Draws

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
In TN we have a draw for 60 day blinds (tier 1’s) by computer (due to Covid) for several WMA’s. Should get results by email in next 10 days. They will have an in person announcement next Saturday on successful hunters also. TWRA also has a tier 2 draw 3X just prior to and during season for 3 or 4 day slots in blinds they built and brushed. What are your rules?

Il. MudDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In TN we have a draw for 60 day blinds (tier 1’s) by computer (due to Covid) for several WMA’s. Should get results by email in next 10 days. They will have an in person announcement next Saturday on successful hunters also. TWRA also has a tier 2 draw 3X just prior to and during season for 3 or 4 day slots in blinds they built and brushed. What are your rules?
Kinda depends on the area.
Some places draw for blinds on a one year allocation, some for 2, and a couple draw for 3.
You sign up at the site you are drawing for the day of, provide an ID and either last years years license and state duck stamp or the current years.
Write down your info on a 3x5 and place it in a tumbler with what seems like 10,000 other 3x5's.
If you get drawn, you can sign up two additional buddies for ownership (3 can own a blind, 4 may hunt it at a time).
You pick your blind in the order you were drawn.
If you want to claim it the day of the hunt, the owners (or at least 1 of them plus additional guests for the day) must arrive at the sites check station by an hour before shooting time or someone else may try for it in a daily draw (via a bingo ball system).
For areas without a manned check station, you must occupy your blind by 1/2 hr before shooting time or someone else may claim/hunt it.

I follow /check a few states pages here on The Refuge, Tennessee being one of them, and I've seen pics of Reelfoot that resemble here i.e. not all the blind owners are inclined to remove their dilapidated blinds after the allocation (blinds collapsing due to ice damage etc) and thus leaving a mess for the next guy or the staff of the site.
Everyone's a conservationist and steward of the land til their chit falls in the lakes and rivers (not all, mind you, but enough and its upsetting the way people can be pigs ).

ARHHH4

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Kinda depends on the area.
Some places draw for blinds on a one year allocation, some for 2, and a couple draw for 3.
You sign up at the site you are drawing for the day of, provide an ID and either last years years license and state duck stamp or the current years.
Write down your info on a 3x5 and place it in a tumbler with what seems like 10,000 other 3x5's.
If you get drawn, you can sign up two additional buddies for ownership (3 can own a blind, 4 may hunt it at a time).
You pick your blind in the order you were drawn.
If you want to claim it the day of the hunt, the owners (or at least 1 of them plus additional guests for the day) must arrive at the sites check station by an hour before shooting time or someone else may try for it in a daily draw (via a bingo ball system).
For areas without a manned check station, you must occupy your blind by 1/2 hr before shooting time or someone else may claim/hunt it.

I follow /check a few states pages here on The Refuge, Tennessee being one of them, and I've seen pics of Reelfoot that resemble here i.e. not all the blind owners are inclined to remove their dilapidated blinds after the allocation (blinds collapsing due to ice damage etc) and thus leaving a mess for the next guy or the staff of the site.
Everyone's a conservationist and steward of the land til their chit falls in the lakes and rivers (not all, mind you, but enough and its upsetting the way people can be pigs ).
Gotta show an id for a duck blind but not to vote?! Wth man..

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've hunted sites without check stations for the past 34 years. When I had a blind, I knew most of the guys who were in my part of the pool. If they weren't there a half hour before shooting time, and their blind was hotter, I might jump it. However, if they showed up, regardless of the time and rules, I'd pack up and leave. Knowing how much money and work goes into a blind, not to mention the decoy spread, it just seemed right to me.
I haven't been drawn for a blind since 1994, so I was relegated to jumping empty blinds for many years. I continue to act in the same manner. Regardless of the time, if a blind builder shows up, I'll pack up and leave. You can always tell blind builders, as they come on a beeline for the boat hide then almost act confused when they realize the blind is occupied. I'll wave them in, ask if they are a builder, and apologize for jumping the blind (even though I was totally legal) telling them I'll pack up and give them the blind. As often as not, things will go smoothly. On rare occasions, someone has gotten nasty, then I'M STAYING.

metalworx

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Post up the results! Who won, and who lost out?!?

chasin mallards

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Anyone go to Sanganois draw? There was a high school girl that got drawn in the 12-15 pick range that did not have her photo ID. It took awhile for her to come forward and her mom was behind her. The guy in charge was shaking his head while they pleaded their case but he said no ID, no blind. She was drawing for a large group and I don't believe they got any opportunities after that.

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'll bet that group will make sure everyone has their photo ID next year.

rism

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If she didn't have a drivers license with her she probably wasn't old enough for the draw anyway.