Blind suggestion or decoy placement

bwurts

Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have access to a about 135 acres of bottom land. 60% is flooded and varies in depth from 1/2 foot - 4 1/2 feet deep. 80% has light weed growth in the water. the water closest to the levy is free from weeds and runs about 60 yrds wide by 200 yds long I have ablind build on the levy and put the dekes into the open water infront of me. the birds never land in the open water in range. The birds fly just out of range and land in the weeds . I know I am not flaring the birds because I have seen them land from a distance (while i am not not in the blind 500yds away) only in the weeds. Bottom line is that they do not land in the open water with or without decoys or when i am in the the blind or out of the blind. about 400-500 took off the water the other day -- all in the weeds... Any suggestions on getting them to come a little closer or suggestions on how to put a blind up ( and what kind of blind) in the water mid season?

thanks

K

kswaterfowler

they are doing the same thing round here. No new birds+ they know they are safe out there. Lately birds here have shied away from anything that could be hiding a hunter. They could be out feeding in those weeds also.

AK DUCKMAN

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
With something like this.
IMGP1273.jpg

IMGP1274.jpg

IMGP1334.jpg

Blackbart

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm with AK duckman you have to be where they want to be a layout boat can be deadly. Good luck.

embart79

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
if they want to eat they will eat you can't pull them off the food when they are fueling up for the flight south. need to be were the birds want to be not were it is convenient for you.

Honker Guide

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The first thing is always location.* you need to be where the ducks want to be.* If that is near the weeds, so be it.* You either need to find a way to set up near the the weeds or you need to get more sophisticated.* Better decoys and a blind that doesn't look like a blind would be a good start.* Here is what I have found over the last 45 years of chasing ducks as a guide.* A blind can be a very big deterent if they can discern that it is a blind.* They will react negatively to a dark boxey look that they have been shot out of before.* Most ducks, by this time of the season have been shot at out of this type of blind several times.* Thus, they will ignore your setup, regardless of how good it looks to you.* Build a blind that uses very little cover and only natural vegetation that is around the pond.* Angle the sides as much as you can.* I use EZ-fab for the background and bungy some natural vegetation to breakup our sillouettes.* You can find pictures of the blinds on our website.* http://www.aerooutdoors.com/products/blinds/duckmodular.html