Blood donations

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by hobbydog, Mar 26, 2020.

1. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

With the coronavirus thing I was wondering how they are handling blood donations. I was curious because if I get it I will most likely need a few red blood cells. I have a blood disorder (spherocytosis) that makes me anemic and with a virus, red blood cell production goes down and I quickly become anemic. Anyhow, it sounds like they badly need donors. If you want to do something, think about donating.

While researching this I found this interesting bit of info.

Can blood from coronavirus survivors treat the newly ill?
    Hospitals are gearing up to test if a century-old treatment used to fight off flu and measles outbreaks in the days before vaccines, and tried more recently against SARS and Ebola, just might work for COVID-19, too: using blood donated from patients who've recovered.

Doctors in China attempted the first COVID-19 treatments using what the history books call "convalescent serum" — today, known as donated plasma — from survivors of the new virus.

Now a network of U.S. hospitals is waiting on permission from the Food and Drug Administration begin large studies of the infusions both as a possible treatment for the sick and as vaccine-like temporary protection for people at high risk of infection.

There's no guarantee it will work.

"We won't know until we do it, but the historical evidence is encouraging," Dr. Arturo Casadevall of Johns Hopkins University's school of public health told The Associated Press.

Casadevall drew on that history in filing the FDA application. The FDA is "working expeditiously to facilitate the development and availability of convalescent plasma" a spokesman said.

Here are some questions and answers about this latest quest for a treatment.

WHAT EXACTLY IS THIS POSSIBLE THERAPY?

It may sound like "back to the Stone Age," but there's good scientific reason to try using survivors' blood, said Dr. Jeffrey Henderson of Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, who coauthored the FDA application with Casadevall and another colleague at the Mayo Clinic.

When a person gets infected by a particular germ, the body starts making specially designed proteins called antibodies to fight the infection. After the person recovers, those antibodies float in survivors' blood -- specifically plasma, the liquid part of blood — for months, even years.

One of the planned studies would test if giving infusions of survivors' antibody-rich plasma to newly ill COVID-19 patients would boost their own body's attempts to fight off the virus. To see if it works, researchers would measure if the treatment gave patients a better chance of living or reduced the need for breathing machines.

2. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

I used to donate as often as possible, till I got Lyme disease now because of that I shouldn’t anymore. Wish I could still my blood type is O+

hobbydog likes this.
  3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I donated march 15th. Power red donation of O+ red blood cells. Last donation went to a Millitary hospital and a hospital in Ny,NY. Interested to see where this one goes.

hobbydog likes this.
  4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

With my fear of needles, I still donated blood as often as I could. Got my 5 gallon card. Dad was the county chairman for the Red Cross for many years and my aunt was the secretary for 30+ years. 20 years ago, I got some type of liver infection and was told I could never donate again. I was a good donor as every 56 days I would get a call to donate 'cause I had A- type.

hobbydog likes this.
  5. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

Saw this on the news tonight. Sounds promising.

https://time.com/5809955/blood-plasma-coronavirus/

hobbydog likes this.
  6. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

I've got type O- so they are always calling and sending mailers. I've got over 40 units donated, but I cancelled an appointment yesterday because nobody wanted to give me a ride. That and I had a feeling it wasn't such a good idea right now.

7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I gave twice back in the 80s. After being in Europe in 90-92 with the very slightest of exposure to mad cows disease, They don't want my blood anymore.

8. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I donate as often as possible. Last donation was about a month ago. I’m 0 positive I think so they beg me for my blood

Fowler267 and hobbydog like this.
  9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

My father worked his entire career in blood and plasma, 50s through 90s. First in community banks, then commercial. He did a lot of work in the 80s that helped with development of a test for HIV. Before that it was risky to get blood from the pool (after HIV hit the scene).

I have O positive blood and am thinking about donating again but I have a medical screening issue that might knock me out.

10. bxcall1

bxcall1 Elite Refuge Member

By all means, unless you think you’re sick, please go donate!
    Hospitals have been asked to reduce stock on hand. Fortunately a lot of non emergency surgeries have been postponed.
    That doesn’t mean there isn’t a need for more donations during this crisis. It isn’t unheard of for a bad trauma to go through more than 30 units of rbc, an equal number of plasma as well as platelets.

hobbydog likes this.