Boat and motor matchup

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Uncle Fuzzy, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy Senior Refuge Member

We're looking at getting an 1648 Alweld Mud hull and putting a Mud Buddy 23 EFI on it. Any opinions?

Aunt Betty likes this.
  2. Zehyani

Zehyani Senior Refuge Member

Might be a little underpowered, but should be reliable. What does the boat weigh, and what do you expect your total payload to be? What kind of water/reeds/mud/swamp will us usually hunt?

Tuleman likes this.
  3. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Elite Refuge Member

Itll get you there but wont get you out of trouble

4. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

Longtail or mini? Both are 2 man rigs. I have a backwater 23 on that hull. 16-17 mph with 2 guys dog and gear. Add a 3rd person and it’s 11-12 mph. I had a 27 mini years ago. Stock it absolutely fell on its face with 3 guys, like 7-8 mph, that was a mod-v so a flat would be better, but I’d guess 12-14 mph

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

On the surface it sounds like a good combo. Answer Zehyani's excellent questions and we'd be able to make specific comments.

6. Turningpoint99

Turningpoint99 New Member

How do you like the backwaters? I'm considering a 23

7. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

I’ve got a 16X55 Lowe Roughneck. Back then it was advertised as a hull for outboard or mud motor. I started with a 27 hp Mudbuddy and it did ok. But I wasn’t happy so I got a 35. Well now I have a 4500 Black Death. Draw your own conclusions.

8. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

I really like it. It's the old style. My longest run is about 3 miles, winding narrow channel. I can go about 18 by myself with a dog and a sneak boat. Add another guy and another boat (350+ lbs) and I'm down to 12-13 but still on plane. If you only do solo or 1 other guy it's great. Balancing the load is key, I can run with no hands on the handle if I'm going straight. I had a beavertail years ago and the difference in driving is night and day. It does take a little time to set it up with the shims but that's something you do once and are done. They have a you tube video to help.

9. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy Senior Refuge Member

Zehyani - Might be a little underpowered, but should be reliable. What does the boat weigh, and what do you expect your total payload to be? What kind of water/reeds/mud/swamp will us usually hunt?

We typically hunt "weedy" spots with a few logs and some mud. Only have to go a mile or less from the landing, not really into running 30 mph down the river in the dark. The last 100 yards is where we need the surface drive. The boat weighs 500 lbs and with two of us and gear we add another 600 or so. Plan right now is to go with the 23EFI and then add muffler and K&R air cleaner. We'll try that for a year.

Mr. Mallard said "It'll get you there but it won't get you our of trouble" Guess I don't understand. We usually don't go running around full bore in strange places.

10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The only reason to go larger on the MM than what the OP asked about is for more speed.
    More speed when loaded and more speed when not.