Boat Blind: Avery or Drake or.....?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Jim Dandy, May 15, 2021.

1. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

I have a 15 foot '79 Boston Whaler Sportsman that is my main duck boat. The hull is camo painted. It's got 40 horse E-tec outboard. I have tried making a few different blind frames for this boat, and none of them have worked to my satisfaction. I generally hunt big water, open bays and sometimes rivers or sloughs. I use longlines and single decoys. I need something I can set up real quick, and provides good cover as we get a lot of mallard and sprig at times in addition to the divers. The boat usually hunts 2 guys, occasionally 3. I'm really seriously thinking about dropping the coin on the newer Drake Ghillie blind, but am wondering of anyone has experience this or with the Avery, or any other brand. This boat gets hunted hard, and in hard conditions. Interested in reviews and experiences. Thank you.

Dandy

2. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

4. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

Beavertail sets up and down quick

JP and M R DUCKS like this.
  5. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

The new drake blinds are a great idea, but lack execution. Biggest POS I’ve ever hunted out of. Because you said you hunt your gear hard...let me rule this one out for you. Avery quick set, beaver tail, or make your own.

6. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I was real happy using a northern flight from cabelas about 10 years ago.i got the all weather version and loved it.

7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I sure wish you guys would figure out which is easy to setup/takedown, travels well, and you can attach fastgrass to, I may need a boat blind by fall

8. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

Im not surprised I have zero faith in the Drake brand but wanted to ask.

Dandy

9. Small Bore Hunter

Small Bore Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I have hunted in several different boat blinds even one I built on a Cherokee. It was the fastest up on down but it was low profile. Setting in seats it was shoulder high. Easy to see and shoot from but you needed face mask for ducks and cold weather. Next boat has Avery easy up and down has lots of room. Flip tops work great but be sure to get the wind blocked for comfort. When blind is down it fits inside boat and does not hang going thru thick woods. I do bungee blind when trailering to keep my camo from whipping in the wind. Most people just pull theirs but I am particular on taking care of things. Good seats and comfortable blind on boat makes a slow day tolerable.

Fowler267 likes this.
  10. #1WATERFOWLER

#1WATERFOWLER Senior Refuge Member

I'm getting a beavertail blind for my boat. I like how it functions and not having to drill holes on your boat. Had one on my last boat and I think it helped seal the deal when I sold it. Good luck.

JP and M R DUCKS like this.