Boat Blind: Avery or Drake or.....?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Jim Dandy, May 15, 2021.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have owned an Avery and a Beavertail. I personally sorta hated the BT for several reasons. Sold it but was not interested in paying $600+

Camo nets were the biggest expense. Most guys get hosed buying Cordura at $13-$18 per yards. Coyote Brown 1000d with camo nets works fine. It would most likely work just as well with just the cordura after a good mudding. Get the Cordura from MagnaFabriks in NJ for $2-$3 per yard

2. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

I scored an almost brand new Avery Quick Set from a forum member here for a really good price. It already has netting attached and I have plenty grass mats and palms for it. Thanks for all the info and tips guys.

Dandy

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

J. D.
    Good luck and happy hunting with the blind.

My Beavertail is entering its 22nd season and is still fooling birds on a regular basis.

4. Anchovy Andrew

Anchovy Andrew Senior Refuge Member

EFDE1848-239D-4CD7-960A-8AA2C3C0FF70.jpeg Vote for build your own. You get exactly what you want. You can use heavy duty hardware and build it exactly to spec. I had an avery quickset good blind but I love the home made one I built last year

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Check out this artificial grass from BlindGrass. This was a game changer for us last season.

6. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

and can use stainless steel hardware !!!

7. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

I have owned 4 different pop up blinds. The first one was one of my favorites but I cant for the life of me remember what it was. Built my second one didn't like it much.

Third was a Cabelas Northern Flight. It held up for 7-8 years. It hid well and I like how you could hunt out of the entire length of the boat. I didn't like it for protection from the elements. Sold that boat last year.

Picked up a new boat this year and went with a Beavertail. I wanted to be able to enclose it a bit more for when its really cold. We only hunted out of it 5-6 times. I run a 18' boat and it has 4 shooting holes. I am not a hug fan of that layout. I don't like how the slots are held closed with snaps, the snaps suck. The good is it is the easiest blind I have used to set up and down. It does stay warmer, it goes on and off the boat super easy.

8. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

I think you will be happy with the Avery Quickset. I had one on my 14 foot Roughneck for over 20 years and have no complaints. I recently sold that boat as I just no longer used it, I had 3 other boats and I let one go. I took the blind off the boat during the off season and stored it indoors in my shop. After 20 years, it was practically good as new. The way I rolled it up in a cover that I had made for it insured no fading and constructually it is very well made. It provides overhead concealment and can be modified to be spring loaded(as mine was). I am a disabled veteran and I was able to put the blind up and down by myself easily. I killed a lot of ducks out of that rig. I had several other blinds on that boat, 2 homemades and one store-bought blind that I don't remember the name of, it didn't have overhead concealment. But the Avery was a excellent blind.

I currently have a Pop-Up Blind, out of Melrose,Iowa on my 20 foot Roughneck. I like it better, but to be fair, it is way more expensive(with the options, close to $2,000). But it is a custom made blind versus and more universal blind so it is not a fair comparison.

The Avery is the best blind in my opinion of the two you were looking at.

9. captbil2003

captbil2003 Refuge Member

Have an Avery and a Beavertail, Avery sits in shed since we got the Beavertail

oleww likes this.
  10. #1WATERFOWLER

#1WATERFOWLER Senior Refuge Member

Your blind looks great. What kind of grass is that and what plastic backing are you using?