Boat Painting????

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by TJ, Jan 16, 2001.

1. TJ

TJ Senior Refuge Member

I am planning on repainting my Big Jon, and would appreciate your all's advise.

Although the existing paint is not in terrible shape, I do have some areas where raw aluminum is showing through. I would assume a primer is warranted, to include roughing or sanding prior to the application of paint? Additionally, Oil Base...? Or is there a new latex product that would work? Would you suggest a Marine shop/distributor for the paint; or would any reputable paint store offer a "hard" paint that will adhere to aluminum. Lastly, I ancipate rolling the paint, versus a spray gun. I realize it is ONLY a duck boat, but I want the boat to look decent. Will there be a significant difference in appearance with a roller in lieu of a spray gun? I have a heated garage...and anticipate painting therein. I would prefer to use a spray gun..but I doubt the Mrs. would appreciate me changing the existing color of the garage walls(white), to olive drab.....?!
    Many thanks in advance for your help...

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Refuge Member

I painted mine 2 years ago. I waited until a hot dry spell of about a week in the summer time. I washed it inside and out with Trisodium Phosphate and bleach mix. You can get this at the local hardware store or paint store. Follow instructions on container. This stuff will not take off paint that is adhering well , its just a great cleaner. The bleach kills the mold. The next day I painted it with Parkers Boat paint, my hardware store had it too. I used a Wagner Power sprayer in an old shed. I have heard that truck beadliner paint is a good coating on the inside of a boat? I did not sand. Its holding on great, only missing where its been scratched by barnicles ect.

3. BenWa

BenWa Banned

Hey there TJ,
    I painted my jon about 2 1/2 years ago and it still looks good considering the rough treatment I gave it. I used a wire brush on a drill to get to the base metal and follow up with either a alcohol bath or carburetor clearner. Now Parker Paints makes a 2 part paint that adheres quite nicely to the aluminum, but you will need to wear a respirator since this stuff is not good for your health. They also have special rollers for this application so it won't take off the nap. You are limited on your time when applying, so you got to be kinda fast. The result is a very tough finish.

[This message has been edited by BenWa (edited 01-17-2001).]