Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Boat prop question

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by IowaWaterfowler10, Feb 19, 2019.

1. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

question for all of you motor junkies out there. I have an ‘83 Evinrude 35hp with console steering. About a year ago I put a Solaris 13 pitch prop on it. It’s on a 1652 Lowe Jon and got 22mph this summer pinned to the floor with a completely empty load and 2 guys. I feel like there should be a lot more top end speed and now that I put a full hard side blind on my boat I’m wondering if it will be plowing like a slug!? Thanks everyone!!

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

What are the rpms at max speed? This is ultimately what you have to know, so get it done
    Is it a long shaft motor on a 15" transom?
    Do you run a jackplate?
    You sure carbs are good and clean, compression is good etc...?

Those 35s are run to about 7k rpm up here in some of the races, there are custom props for them out there too, like 3 blade cleavers at high pitch. But that'll be a speed prop, not a load carrying prop.

35hp from back then is more a 30hp, but still, yes, I would think more speed empty should be seen. Now, with a hard blind, you'll more than likely want a four blade for the torque, it's certainly going to kill speed because you're pushing a large brick, and because a prop built for torque isn't built for top end speed, but it isn't a race boat.

I was hoping to get one of those motors this year as my motor guy has one in a 15" shaft, just don't know that I'll be able to get it done, other expenses to consider.

3. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

It’s a long shaft on 20 inch transom. Looks like I will have to get a tiny tach as I don’t currently have one. And that was bare to the ribs as I was redoing it this off season.

4. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Moderator

Manufacturers began rating horsepower at the prop right around 1984. Till then they were rated at the powerhead. Your 35hp motor most like compares to a 25hp of todays world. Sounds like you are running about average for that motor on that boat.

IowaWaterfowler10 and BAYDOG like this.
  5. duck BILL

duck BILL Refuge Member

I'm sort of in the same boat...pun intended. I have a 35 hp Johnson from 1983 and I need a new prop as well. I run a modified V Crestliner though. I've been digging into props a lot this off season, and the best link I found was a prop "selector":

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/solas-propeller/

You input engine info, hull shape, and load, and it will spit out recommendations. I'm currently running a 10 X 15 prop, which I found is great for my boat without anyone in it. I found out I need a prop with more pitch so I'm looking for a 10.2 X 11. Hope this helps, but I'm interested to know where you end up and how it works.

6. duck BILL

duck BILL Refuge Member

I forgot to mention earlier, but my '83 Johnson is a long shaft and the stamped tag says its operating range is between 5200 and 5800 RPMs. Model J35RLCTS if you wish to compare motors. You may not need a tach after all.;)

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If you are trying to wring the last mph out of it, you'll need that tachometer.
    BTW, two adult males is not what I'd consider a "completely empty load". You could have a load in that boat of 320 to 450 pounds just from those two guys.
    I wouldn't buy a new prop until the boat is outfitted the way it will be when you are using it for hunting AND you have a way of measuring rpm. Until then it'll just be a guess.

Phytoplankton likes this.
  8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I dont think much about the props on my outboards. As long as there are still 3 blades, or 3 nubs that dont vibrate the rivets loose on the jon boat...... she’s good to go.

callinfowl and BAYDOG like this.
  9. duck BILL

duck BILL Refuge Member

I agree with the tachometer statement. I'm going to try this myself to see what happens.

2 guys is a fair load, and after looking around a bit it seems like a 13 pitch prop is probably on the high side. I would think an 11 pitch would be better.

10. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Exactly as long as it gets me there and back, that's the way I roll.:yes:tu:tu