Boat trailer plates question.

2WIDGN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Can't seem to find the thread from last year. Several guys were talking about an alternative to the expensive stickers. A different plate. I've got some time today to research it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

rism

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It's called an ST plate. Can't do it over the internet. Have to go to a DMV. $19 and it's forever, There is also a charge for setting it up but it's negligible. First person I talked to at the DMV didn't know what I was talking about, said there was no such thing. I made her get her supervisor. Supposedly there is a 8,000 lb. GVW for the trailer and vehicle combined but my local contact w/ the SP said they have been told to ignore it. No way of proving it anyway.

Il. MudDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have buddies who got the new plate. They said it went smoothly.
My trailer tags expired in April of 2020 so perhaps I need to renew/get the new plate...

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have buddies who got the new plate. They said it went smoothly.
My trailer tags expired in April of 2020 so perhaps I need to renew/get the new plate...
ARKANSAS trailers you register once and it's for life. I'm about this close to doing it.
Why the hell not register boat and truck there too?
Eff illinoiz

Plz forgive me if I've offended anyone.
This boat trailer thing triggers me.
I email'd my state rep about this issue long ago.
She gives zero effs.

BJH

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
You better hurry 'n get your ST plate before Prickster realizes he's loosing $$! Got mine last year!

DANNY NEWELL

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken with a ST semi trailer plate you have to get the thing inspected once a year.
This includes trailers.
Just like the pickups used to be.I'm sure the insurance on an ST plate is higher also.
You have to realize you have made it a commercial vehicle with that plate.
It used to be $60 some bucks for inspections.
Be careful on this one guys.

Danny

ARHHH4

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I just bought a twelve foot flat utility trailer last week. Told the lady I wanted ST plates because I wasn’t paying to resticker it every year. She said, “well now you know the rules on that right? The total weight of your towing vehicle, the trailer, and the cargo can’t be over 8,000 pounds..” I said yep that’s fine. She gave me a copy of the registration paper and told me to make as many copies as I needed in case someone else were ever to use the trailer and had it in their possession. She said, “since there’s no renewal you won’t ever receive anything else from us.” She gave me my plate and out the door I went. She never said anything about a yearly inspection. Although I have heard that around town. Even at $60 for an inspection I’m coming out money ahead versus $119 or whatever it is to renew every year.

rism

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Danny - The ST plate is for the trailer. The whole combination, Vehicle, trailer and cargo is supposed to be under 8,000 lbs -no inspection necessary. If you were pulling the trailer w/ a semi then the plate would be invalid anyway.