Boats

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by woodiefanatic, Feb 15, 2021.

1. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

Alright guys starting to look at buying a boat again. I am thinking of getting a belt driven surface drive. I’m thinking I would like something in the 17’-18’ range. Casting deck up front for my summer fishing. 95% of what I do is smaller lakes and rivers looking for big green so probably just a trolling motor and maybe a screen. Fishing is definitely secondary to its function as a hunting rig. My previous experience is all with a 1644 GD hull with a 23hp longtail. Mostly what I run for hunting would be rivers and river backwaters. So your typical river type stuff, shallow flats/sloughs, lots of wood, maneuverability for tight cuts, winding sections, and running thru the flood waters. Most hunting would be 1-3 guys, dog and gear. Not super concerned about speed. If I was I would get a outboard. I would probably look at attaching some sort of blind on it but not some big permanent monster.
    Questions:

1. Brand of Hull? Seems like there’s a million options. Recommendations on brands that are better equipped for a SD vs just the latest gimmicky fanboy hull.

2. Length to width ratio? Any advantage to this when it comes to draft or getting a boat to plane out? Thinking narrower would be easier to hide and get into tighter spots than getting a big 55”+ wide boat.

3. True flat front or V nose? Pros cons to either. V-nose was more forgiving when running tight stuff in the GD.

Any other thoughts and opinions are welcome. I’m sure there’s plenty I’ve overlooked as I’m still a general newb when it comes to running a boat. My budgets pretty open. I held off buying for a couple years to get something I wanted. Probably still gonna look for used stock.

2. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Only thing I would say is screw the casting deck up front. Waste of space if hunting is the primary goal. The more open the better in my opinion. YMMV.

Alldrakes, take'm and Holesinthesky like this.
  3. Bclick

Bclick Elite Refuge Member

I hsve a GD 1860 w/37, does all for me what you are wanting. Got it from Rons in Fox Lake, good dude.

4. Mudbug

Mudbug Senior Refuge Member

18 foot Excel shallow water with a 40 EFI Mud buddy.
    We just got one, we had a 16 ' Jon with a 27 hp Vanguard long tail.
    The difference is like night and day.
    Go drive one you will never go back.
    [​IMG]

5. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

I have a 1860 lowe square front flatbottom. 90 merc. I love it.

That said if I had to do it over I'd get a slight v. A little smoother ride and anything more than a chop and I'm getting sprayed.

The only other thing I'd change would possibly be a tunnel hull.

I had a mud motor but found i could always get within 100 yards with a outboard (Mississippi) . The mud motors are too loud for my liking for where I used it.

Regarding width, down south they like narrow (48) for running timber. Prodrive guys talked me into it. Didn't like or need it. Wider will get on plane easier and be more stable.

Have fun getting a new boat!

6. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

Like gk1 said if your going to use if for hunting go with a wide open set up. This is a 17x56 smooth bottom rig with steps on the back powered by a 37hp go devil. Ive had it at 30 mph with another guy and a dog. Which is plenty of speed running in the crap. Not a fishing rig but I fish out of it.

20200406_114945.jpg

woodiefanatic, GK1 and Ducker 4 Ever like this.
  7. Holesinthesky

Holesinthesky Senior Refuge Member

8. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

9. Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson Elite Refuge Member

The Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria.

woodiefanatic and Ducker 4 Ever like this.
  10. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

That’s about the boat I think I need. Just enough deck for me to chuck a spinnerbait off of in summer. Problem is finding a barebones hull like that for sale. Seems like everyone crams them full of steps and seats and junk