Bona Fides

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
Just curious on the tackle you use and how far out you have to get the bait
Today's setup was a 7' 6" St. Croix Avid medium light rod with a Shimano Stradic C14 3000 reel spooled with 8lb P-line fluorocarbon. Terminal rig (Carolina rig) is using 6lb P-line fluorocarbon. I use a 1/2 oz egg sinker flattened with a mallet to keep it from rolling in the current and an 8mm bead between the sinker and #8 barrel swivel. Leader is 24" long with a #6 Owner mosquito hook. All knots are standard clinch knots. Today's bait was local sand crabs. How far out is different every cast and depends upon things like surf, tide, current, wind, water clarity, presence of other people, etc. Sometimes the fish are in the skinny water at your feet and sometimes past the breakers. I was casting to perch in a riptide when the pictured spotfin hit like a freight train. It took a while to convince it to come to hand.

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
Lots of halibut and some WSB along with perch and corbina up and down the coast.
The butts and WSB seem to be liking kastmasters and LCs. There was too much salad for my liking today so I stuck with the sand crabs. Three of us were fishing along a 1/2 mile stretch of beach. We kept 4 spotfins and 1 toad sized barred surfperch, plus released a combination of fifty+ yellow fins, corbina, and surfperch.

hunting1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Today's setup was a 7' 6" St. Croix Avid medium light rod with a Shimano Stradic C14 3000 reel spooled with 8lb P-line fluorocarbon. Terminal rig (Carolina rig) is using 6lb P-line fluorocarbon. I use a 1/2 oz egg sinker flattened with a mallet to keep it from rolling in the current and an 8mm bead between the sinker and #8 barrel swivel. Leader is 24" long with a #6 Owner mosquito hook. All knots are standard clinch knots. Today's bait was local sand crabs. How far out is different every cast and depends upon things like surf, tide, current, wind, water clarity, presence of other people, etc. Sometimes the fish are in the skinny water at your feet and sometimes past the breakers. I was casting to perch in a riptide when the pictured spotfin hit like a freight train. It took a while to convince it to come to hand.
Sounds very enjoyable. I'll never get the chance again but I'll cherish the memories of catching pompano, whiting and sheepshead out of the Florida surf. At least I still use the same gear, 15ft rods with Ambassador 7000C's to reach the main channel for big catfish below a large freshwater dam a few hours south of me

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
15ft rods with Ambassador 7000C's
Since the current best approach locally is continuous run and gun casting, I’d be worn out pretty quickly with that rig. :D

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
Hit the surf again this morning with light tackle. The surf perch bite was off the charts. I lost count but it was 100% catch and release …except for this spotfin drag burner.

View attachment 344993
BTW... How it worked out.

1655576672309.jpeg

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
Three of us hit the beach this morning. These are the keepers.
A43C7839-C4C1-42A9-9274-96C2E4AA6A8F.jpeg

I released all of my surf perch. This one was the best.
310ECD3A-9803-47E7-9BE0-31DFDBAA3FB7.jpeg