Booze in the blind

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by wprebeck, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:42 AM.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Anyone read the accounts of Chuck Yeager and his' runnin buddies and their "Blowing Off Steam" back in the day? It seems that breaking the sound barrier was stressful and required a lot of stress relief on the weekends!

2. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

after the hunt, I'll have a beer or an 1 1/2 of bourbon.
    Before or during, not just no, but h@!! no!
    EVERYBODY'S judgement and reactions get sloppy when they start consuming alcohol.

Plus, alcohol is a diuretic. You dehydrate faster when you drink it on a hot day.
    It's also a vasodialator. Your extremities get warm, but it depletes you core warmth when it's cold.
    He's just trolling....don't take the bait........He's just trolling......don't take the bait...

Actually, dove hunters are the worst. Toward the end of my father's life, he had a small dove club on our farm. They'd plant millet, sunflowers, buckwheat, etc. and bush hog it for dove.
    On Saturdays in dove season, they'd self-cater a wild game lunch starting at 10:30 or 11. Wine was included... A cooler of beer went to the field with each of them... They'd stagger in after the hunt, talk enough to show they were plowed, get behind the wheels of their autos and hit the road - drunk. I have no idea why my father tolerated it.
    I didn't hunt with them much and had no idea how stewed they were getting. Somehow, my mother and I found out how blitzed these fools were getting and impressed upon my old man the risk he was taking letting it happen. He finally made them quit; they declined to come back the following year.
    My point is, the ones who think they can hold their liquor, can't - and if you need alcohol to have fun, you need to examine certain aspects of your persona....

widgeon likes this.
  3. GetDuck

GetDuck Elite Refuge Member

In my boat and my blinds no booze. End of story. Afterwards have at it

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

I need some, I'll trade you some big red and purple buds for a bottle.
    LOL!!!!!
    If skill and marksmanship are a problem it damn sure isn't because I took a nip or 3 of brandy or drank a light beer. Not getting a good nights sleep the night before a hunt will have a much worse effect on my shooting than a .01 % BAC. And in all honesty, I don't hunt to survive so even if it did and I missed a few birds I really don't two s***s.

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

MY man. I usually get to around 2 cases before I azz out.

I may have broken my record on July 4th; I’m fairly positive I was in the neighborhood of 3 cases that night.

Duck_Hunter_TX and newduk like this.
  6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Bruh, there is damn fine public hunting right there in Venice. The mud motor navy has ruined it somewhat, but it would still be worth going, especially if you’re already in Venice!

7. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

20190814_194011.jpg 20190814_193110.jpg Saw this on the streets of NY and thought of y'all and this thread

And it smelled a bit skunky on every block.

TheDuckSlayer and 10GAGENUT like this.
  8. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Zero tolerance during the hunt

10GAGENUT likes this.
  9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

That was when Edwards Air Force base was called Muroc field, the imbibing and eating place was Pancho Barnes Place, yes Pancho was a female pilot and her place was kind of the Blowing Off Steam place there.
    In those days when the sound barrier hadn't been broke yet, every dingbat with a theory was out saying what they thought was going to happen if it was broken, and yes things such as tearing a hole in the space time continuum were suggested by some real far out nut jobs.
    With what those early test pilots went through a good dose of drinking may have been the best thing for them at that time.

10. cormier1

cormier1 Senior Refuge Member

we always bring beer and have a couple after the hunt.