Boss shot shell patterns?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Chesapeakecody, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Chesapeakecody

Chesapeakecody Senior Refuge Member

They are a newer company and I'm all about supporting small business! Just curious if any of you guys/gals that shot them last season had any feed back on they're performance or if anyone happen to do any patterning with them what they thought of the pattern compared to other bismuth loads.

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

With Bismuth 6 % Tin at 9.6 g/cc it's hard to understand why adding a thin layer of Copper over a pellet makes it better ?
    OH I would agree , with the smooth surface a copper coating would provide , it could be a reason for adding more velosity to the load but I already load
    my Bismuth out to 1450 fps , so the jury is out not understanding if its better or not , sense there isn't any available for reloading .

3. Chesapeakecody

I agree with you there. The surface of copper is less porous resulting in less drag but I would think at that scale it wouldn’t be a significant increase in velocity but I could certainly be wrong. I think the copper plating is a new thing and not what draws me to the shell. I like the price point mostly which is why I was curious about patterns. I ordered some to test against some Kent bismuth that I have.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Please let me know what your thoughts are after patterning these loads ? I'm sure there could be a advantage of copper plateing ,just don't know how much !

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Sometimes it's not the shot material the load has in it so much as the components used to propel that shot material.
    Looking at it logically, and by inspection of the loads, the price has to be kept down in some manner. If cheaper wads and cheaper powders are used that's one way to keep prices down.
    I've been loading up some of my own 94/6 Bismuth loads but have gone the complete opposite direction, I've been using premium wads and premium powders and the results have been very good for me. The wads I use alone cost three times as much as the wads used in the Boss shells, may not mean a whole lot but the results on the other end speak for themselves.

callinfowl likes this.
  6. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I ordered a case and just received it yesterday. They must hand pack the boxes because one was short a shell. Its not the end of the world but I emailed them and am waiting for a response. I plan on pattern testing at the end of the month. I have a browning BPS (invector plus) and will be trying the factory full, modified, and an old patternmaster ext. I purchased a case of the 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz of #3/5 duplex loads. Ill post up after i get them on paper. I will be testing at 40 yards.

10GAGENUT and stevena198301 like this.
  7. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Refuge Member

Just for the heck of it below is what KPY showed for Bismuth #3, #4 and shot and #5 shot.
    All three shot sizes starting out at 1350 fps.

#5 Bismuth shot at 41.4 yards is going 664 fps, with 2.17 energy, time to 41.4 yards is .140 seconds and gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 41.4 yards.

#3 Bismuth shot at 41.4 yards is going 722 fps, with 4.08 energy, time to 41.4 yards is .133 seconds and gets 2.08" of gel penetration at 41.4 yards.

#4 Bismuth shot at 51.2 yards is going 613 fps, with 4.08 energy, time to 41.4 yards is .182 seconds and gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 51.2 yards.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  8. Chesapeakecody

Awesome! thanks for sharing. Were those custom loads or a brand of shell?

9. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I’ve been to their business where they load the shells since they aren’t all that far from my house. Yes they are hand packed. The guys that have been shorted a shell have all received a free box for the inconvenience.

Their FB page is loaded with patterning results. The copper patterns tighter than the non copper bismuth. I picked up 2 cases for $185 each From them a while back and will use them in my Belgium.

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. Chesapeakecody

Thanks for the comment! didn't even think about looking at they're Facebook page!