Boss shot shell patterns?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Chesapeakecody, Aug 13, 2019.

1. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Id agree. Im a big believer in smaller shot sizes for ducks when possible. The only exception for me is with geese. 1.5oz loads of BBB pattern exceedingly well out of my gun and hammer geese. I like the reliable pass throughs I get so there is little to no shot ever in the meat. The only drawback is recoil.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

BBB is my go to shot size for geese as well, done pretty well with BB's and T's but always seem to carry a lot more BBB loads than anything else.

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

If you know how to shoot, know your pattern, know your range, and know your limitations, 1’s are a great payload when it comes to open water hunting here in the N. Carolina bays, rivers and sounds. As Joe mentioned (and he’s hunted divers here) we don’t often get the close in shots where I agree, density of almost any size rules. I’ve been at this for over 5 decades and me and my partner have extreme confidence in there ability to kill first and cripple less. And for that occasional cripple, you won’t do crap trying to stop one at 45-50 yards shooting 6’s other than giving him a headache. I also shoot them (1’s) in Canada when both geese and ducks are invading our field spread. Confidence in what you shoot plays a big part in your success. You’ll always shoot better if you believe in what you’re shooting regardless of payload. Just my experience, not to put down others.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    dog duck gun likes this.
  4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

From about 1990 until 2005 When I used to chase the big honks and kill around 100 per season I shot a lot of BBB's. I agree they were a hammer on geese in the 3.5" loads. 9/10 birds were dead before they hit the ground. I used the 1 9/16 loads to keep pellet count as high as possible. Most ducks I shot with them were cripples or lucky 1 pellet kills. We ran down the cripples or sent a dog if we had one, easier than swatting them.

5. 10GAGENUT

If my hunting partner and I were limited on time and wanted a short travel hunt we would hunt Sutton Lake by the power plant. Hit and miss usually in that place but it did have it's moments with Ringnecks and Bluebills. Shots were usually shorter there but we still used 2's or 3's as that's about how close we could get them in.
    As you stated hunting the bays and inlets was a whole different ball game, 1's were not out of the question at all on some of the hunts we went on.

6. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

Having spent a few minutes at the pattern board this afternoon I can say this...

The boss shells I fired today kick like a pi$$ed off first time heifer in the cow barn.

I will post some photos tomorrow.

7. Boot

Boot Refuge Member

The Boss shotshells I have, did seem like they had a little extra oomph to them. Looking forward to seeing your pattern results.

8. 10GAGENUT

:eek::l Like to see your patterns myself. Just out of curiosity what were the temperatures like when you shot them???

9. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

77deg and hazy Sun at the time.

10. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

What gauge, shot size, choke, yardage?