Boss shot shell patterns?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Chesapeakecody, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Boot

Boot Refuge Member

2. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I appreciated them sending the performance data sheet with the shells. Here is the one i got with the 2.75" 1.25oz loads for comparison.
    20190816_152307.jpg

3. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Ideas on primers and or powders, they may be using? Recognize that wad?

4. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Im no expert but it Seems to me he's using too cold of a primer. They dont give you the data until after you buy the shells. I guess I will see how they shoot before i make any further decisions.

5. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

So we shouldn't bother with this ammo?

6. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

You guys know far more about components than I do, and I've never spent a dime on Boss products, so I have no skin in this game. I did talk to all the Boss guys at the MN Game Fair last weekend, where they had these exact test sheets for the loads they had on hand. The velocity loss caught my eye as well, and I asked about it. The answer I got was essentially they put those test shells in chest freezers for some time (maybe overnight, I don't remember). Then test them immediately upon removal, or essentially at 0F. I hunt in MN, and I guarantee the shells in my gun have probably never been down to 0F, so the actual velocity loss anyone sees in the field will be something less than the full 300fps.
    This in no way argues that they're using the right components. I just thought I'd share what they told me face to face.

7. SkolMNDuckHunter

Nope, just wanted let others know what they said on the topic in case anyone was interested. I don't plan on buying their shells or your bridge.

Chesapeakecody and Out of focus like this.
  8. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

I think what Joe is suggesting, is that you get what you pay for and you’re still not getting that much, for what you’re paying for it.

9. SkolMNDuckHunter

I would probably give a box or two a chance if I had any classic guns that I couldn't shoot steel through that I wanted to take duck hunting on a nice day.

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Give a look at the high psi rating on the shells, I had inquired with both Kent and RIO both of which were kind enough to send me psi for their shells, if you have an older double gun like I have a few of, I wouldn't shoot an of these brands of Bismuth shells for fear of stock cracking. A gun like an old Belgian Auto 5 would be fine, but real old double guns I wouldn't take the chance on.

JP and SkolMNDuckHunter like this.