Bought a Browning Safari in 243...what ammo??

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by 11P&YBOWHUNTER, Apr 17, 2008.

1. 11P&YBOWHUNTER

11P&YBOWHUNTER Refuge Member

I recently bought a Browning BAR Safari in 243 and will be hunting mostly deer, Javelina and possibly hogs with it. Any ideas on what ammo i should try out of it? Anyone got this gun in this round? I own quite a few BAR Safari's and about 30 rifles total, but this is my first 243...any info would be gratefully appreciated.

11P&Y

2. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

Same as with any semiauto, stay away from high energy loads. The manufacturers of both the firearm and the ammunition will tell you as much, as the rifles' actions are not designed to be used with anything other than standard loads.

Any 100-grain common run bullet will work fine, but if you handload, your options increase exponentially. If that is the case, I recommend loading up some 100-grain Speer Grand Slams for it in the middle of the recommended range for powder.

3. 45-70

45-70 Senior Refuge Member

I would recommend any of the heavier 90-100 grain quality bullets. Normally I dont suggest super tough framed or bonded bullets for deer but since this caliber is a little smaller than average I would suggest just that. .243 is a great caliber and like the other guy said stay away from absolute max loads. That being said try the Federal Fusion, or Winchester Supreme line.

If you hunt from a stand and are confident you can get a broadside shot almost everytime you could get away with a Ballistic Silvertip or something more explosive. Sierra Gamekings are also a good choice with a high BC if you are looking for that.

4. 11P&YBOWHUNTER

Thanks guys, and i do not reload as of right now but in the next few months, i will be reloading for darn near every rifle caliber...i own about 12 different calibers. This is my first 243. I have always shyed away from the calibers smaller than the 25's, but a friend of mine shot three deer with his 243 and he swears by it so i decided to pick up the next 243 i found that was for a good deal. And a 400 dollar 98% Browning BAR Safari in ANY caliber is a darn good deal! So, it went home with me.

I was told to stick to 90 grain or higher and i was also told to stick to Nosler Partitions or something like that...which is why i figured i would get a mixture of opinions.

5. SCTIMBER

SCTIMBER Senior Refuge Member

Wouldn't have a link or contact for another Browning for $400 by chance?

6. 11P&YBOWHUNTER

SCTimber,...nope, he only had that one and all he wanted was a 30-06. I had a 30-06 with a scope on it that i had just bought for 400 dollars, so i sent him a picture and he wanted it. Traded that week. So, i got it for 400 dollars essentially. I have come across some phenomenal deals this ast month on Browning BAR rifles. Seems people are selling them to pay for gas. HA!! Last one i saw was a 300 WIN Browning BAR for 600...

7. SCTIMBER

SCTIMBER Senior Refuge Member

Hard to pass up a deal :l

I won a basic Weatherby in .257 a few years ago, traded a pawn shop owner on a new Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker w/Boss in .270. I had to add about $450 plus the Weatherby but I ended up with a nice gun for half the original price.

I try to add to the gun collection every chance I get, especially if I run up on a deal too good to pass up.

Would love to find a gun store selling out, or a buyer that is needing some cash quickly :)

8. 11P&YBOWHUNTER

SCT this is my problem...if i know a bit about guns and i keep my eyes out and i find the good prices alot of the time when i watch forums such as this one...and a few others i cruise.