BRBR Management

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by western squawker, Oct 27, 2015.

1. western squawker

western squawker Senior Refuge Member

i need a reality check. Am I the only one who sees serious mismanagement at the Bear River Refuge? Phrag has ruined Duckville, Unit 3A, most of 3B and so on. Unit 9 would be unusable if Greg Mullen hadn't pulled the public safety card and mowed the phrag down. They bought the Canada Goose club and what have they done with it. Nothing. They seem more interested in one way auto tour routes and fighting with the Bear River Club than creating a strategic management plan for the habitat. Me thinks we need a leadership change.

2. rmk800

rmk800 Elite Refuge Member

I seriously doubt their is any fighting with the bear river club. The Feds and that club work very closely with one another. Here a couple yrs ago the Feds were short on funding for some project/land and guess who wrote the check? Yup the friends of the bear river bird refuge. Which consists mainly of high dollar club members.

It would do you good to go sit down and talk with the Feds to learn how they do things. I've done it a number of times. I don't agree with it all but I do try to educate myself on how and why with them.

The safety card with unit 9 was and is always in play when it comes to the channel in the NW of unit 9. I've been on that band wagon for many years. The Canada goose club has many issues with it from my understanding. The Feds will not pump water to it like the club did. I imagine they have a plan or are working on on plan that will be implemented some time down the road.

The director told me they are up for a 10 yr management plan. So that is in process at some stage currently. Hunter quality is top on their list. Mid say you will see restrictions on high traffic weekends. Opener mainly. I talked with Bob about it here a week ago. He said they have huge concerns for opening day. Way to many people for the system I guess.

As for phrag, don't get me started! They are way behind the 8 ball!!!

Hope this helps!

3. dubob

dubob Senior Refuge Member

I'm in agreement with rmk on this. We shouldn't be quick to condemn unless we've actually walked in their shoes. There are always two sides to every issue [sometimes even more than two :)]. From talking to them personally, I do know that the current management is pro hunting and in fact do hunt. It might be more productive WS if you just gave them a call and discussed your concerns directly with them. I've always found them willing to explain their intentions and restrictions on just about any issue.

4. western squawker

Thanks gents. Things are always more complicated than they appear. That said, those I know who work in the refuge office would disagree it is pro hunting. And the refuge has filed a lawsuit against the club.

5. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

I guess it all depends on what "pro hunting" means. If it means looking for ways to restrict access to newly purchased lands, looking for ways of restrict the number of hunters using our public lands (BRBR), if it means buying duck clubs and them immediatly closing them to access, or maybe if it means being 5 years overdue in their management plan..if it means these things, then, yes, they are pro-hunting and the refuge is well managed.
    R

6. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^ Got to love honesty

7. dubob

dubob Senior Refuge Member

R,
    Your points are well taken. To clarify mine; where I said 'current management', I should have said 'current manager.' I know from talking to him that he does in fact hunt the refuge which in my mind would make him pro hunting. As to your points, they would indeed tend to nullify any pro hunting image based on just hunting. As to the rest of his staff, I have no personal experience with any of them. I did not know about any of the points you brought up and I respectfully yield to your knowledge/experience with the refuge as I only hunt there about 6 to 8 times a year and only in those long standing hunting units that have been open forever. Thank you for the insight; knowledge is power and a good thing.

8. rmk800

Tell me more about this law suit.

9. western squawker

R, you articulated my issues way more eloquently than I did. The refuge is being managed more like a national park than a waterfowl production/hunting area. The priority is not on public hunting opportunity or IMHO, optimized habitat management. All you have to do is look at the Bear River Club habitat vs. BRBR. Also, this idea of restricting access on opening weekend or any other day must be fought with every fiber of our being. I grew up in Illinois with a stake/lottery system and it galactically blows. We cannot allow that to happen here in any shape or form. Yes, it may be a cluster on the opener; so don't go and wait until the following week.

RMK, I don't know the details of the lawsuit, but it is associated with the amount of water the club is sending the refuge from the Bear River. Since the refuge is federal, the lawsuit should be a matter of public record. R probably can help here, but I'll attempt to look it up.

The BRBR is a unique and awesome resource unlike anything in the country really. I hate to see it not reach it's full potential as a public waterfowl resource.

10. rmk800

You need to understand how the refuge fights invasive plants vs private land owners. This is where governement is just so awesome (sarcasm here)!! The refuge has to develop an evolving management plan on how to treat phrag, then they have to acquire funds, then comes implementation of it. On days they want to spray they have more red tape barriers then the private land owner, on days they want to burn, welcome to more red tape. Government at its best you could say! A private land owner sees phrag, may have to acquire a permit to spray from the state and then goes and sprays. When the county says it's ok to burn, they burn. See the difference. Welcome to government. I beleive you are correct In how the refuge is ran like a national park in some ways. The refuge isn't ran as a hunting area, hell they almost could care less about you shooting ducks. I keep hearing them say they want the refuge to offer a quaility experience. Quality as in terms of hunting is pretty subjective to me. Your idea of quality and my idea of quality are different when it comes to duck hunting.

As to your lawsuit claim. I've got a phone call into Bob Barrett about it. I doubt there is a law suit. Why sue the guys who really throw a lot of $$ to you when you ask for it? I'll let you know what the director tells me.

The way I see it; "It is what it is!" It's not right, it's not wrong as everyone is going to see it differently, it's just the way it is. Sucks, but changing that is far beyond my ability!