BRBR Management

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by western squawker, Oct 27, 2015.

1. dubob

dubob Senior Refuge Member

If you need an example of this, take a look at the new road from I-15 to the maintenance shed at the start of the loop. About 5 years ago, I talked with the gentlemen at the BRBR Visitor Center/HQ building who's main job was to make the new road happen. You would not believe all of the hoops that had to be jumped through to get the project completed. Federal, state, and county officials were all involved as well as a host of other government agencies. We (the public) saw a 3 to 4 year project in the making. That wasn't even half of it. That one project took between 8 & 10 years from conception/need to completion. The general public has no clue just how difficult and slow it can be to get good, needed projects approved and completed. Coordinating operations with three levels of government and a multitude of federal agencies is an absolute nightmare.

One of my responsibilities as a Federal Civil Servant Electronic Engineer was to work contracts and budgets for projects. Forecasting needs and funding was a 2 to 3 year in advance headache that we learned to live and cope with early on. And no other levels of government were involved. It is the nature of the beast. BRBR is no different and regardless of how urgent a project is needed, it will NOT happen overnight.

According to RJ, the 10 year management plan is 5 years overdue. No matter how much that irritates your senses, you'll have to trust me when I say that at the Federal government level, that is just about meaningless. As has already been said, it is what it is and they will get to it when they damn well please.

2. rmk800

rmk800 Elite Refuge Member

Spoke with Bob Barrett today. I asked him about this lawsuit thing. He said their is some discussion over various issues that he was not at liberty to comment on, but stated their is NO litigation with the Bear River club. I didnt ask for details as I don't care to be honest. So that rumor is dispelled...

3. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, i can't imagine The BRBR sueing the Bear River Club, they need to be good neighbors, and the club can be helpful to the refuge. But, hey, it's a crazy world!
    I agree that the idea of a "quality hunting experience" is subjective. That is all the more reason to not impose a federal rule on what it entails. The idea of limiting the numbers of citizens that can enjoy our public refuge appalls me. A lottery or draw makes me want to vomit. If it is a safety issue, then that is another matter, but it is a big refuge and if one area is crowded, go to another area or hunt elsewhere. A quality hunt is what you make of it, not what some federal employees decide is the best way to force you to enjoy your visit at a public location. If an area is small and overcrowding is causing issues, then they can always make the parking area for that spot a little smaller by moving the signs a bit (you can't park outside the signs). Most parking areas are not that big, so if there are a lot of cars in a spot...move to the next parking area.
    At least 5 years ago, we suggested ways to help them with their overdue management plan. They have done nothing with it. They have purchased around 5-6 duck clubs, and closed them up to tresspass. They claim that they don't have the time or money to create a management plan that would allow them to take down the No Tresspassing signs and allow the historic hunting use of that area. Apparently, the public (that now owns the land) can't be trusted to walk accrss the newly purchased lands. I have a novel idea of how to allow hunting, bird watching, walking, and tree hugging in the new areas...take 10 minutes and remove the signs...problem solved!
    R

4. dkhntrdstn

dkhntrdstn Senior Refuge Member

My question is when did they change it to ten shells for every one on the dikes ?

5. stuckduck

stuckduck Senior Refuge Member

Nice post R couldn't agree more!

6. wtrdog

wtrdog Senior Refuge Member

The management plan is only one of their excuses. They also will say that they don't have the staffing to support opening areas up ,i.e.: police , etc, yet they can find all sorts of Money to put in walkways, sound walls, etc.

7. rmk800

rmk800 Elite Refuge Member

Alright, so I had a good friend tell me of a bunch of broo-ha between the bear river club and the Feds. He stated that the club is suing the Feds. Not sure who or what to believe. I was told that some lawyer guy is forming an advisory committee as well to get after the Feds and their pathetic attempt of managing the refuge for hunters. His words were something to the effect that the Feds don't give a damn about anyone hunting.... Seems about spot on if you ask me! Who knows what's really going on!