Bringing birds back from Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by sleeping_dogs, Sep 24, 2019.

1. buddyb01

buddyb01 Refuge Member

Been going up there 16 years, never had a problem bringing birds back and we bring everything back. American hunter reputation in Canada is that we are slob hunters and I understand why. Too many people going up there to shoot as many birds as they can and "gifting" them all away. Don't mean to preach but please don't perpetuate or add to this problem. It is ok to gift some away to those who need but I believe you should bring the majority of what you shoot back with you. The way I was brought up you eat what you kill.

Neck Collar likes this.
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I believe the same thing as you, however, that isn't the law. Dumping birds, yea, I got a problem (obviously) with that. But I HAVE had some farmer say if I got some fat Specks, they would like a couple. One lady wanted a couple of mallards. It happens.

3. buddyb01

buddyb01 Refuge Member

NV Ducker,
    We are in agreement, I shouldn't have said we bring everything back. If a farmer or two wants a fat mallard or a big Canada goose absolutely.... we will make a special trip with a cleaned bird for them.

4. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

Uhh, both u and native are dead wrong, u better have your numbers and u better have a story. There is a reason why there are strict rules for gifting birds anywhere in North America. U are playing with North American waterfowl act, lacy act, etc....if u think cuz u gave all your birds away that’s the end of it, well, keep on keepin on, but at some point have fun with what COULD happen

5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

I could not find anything that says I have to declare birds I gave away before returning home to the US. Google says there is no such thing as North American Waterfowl Act. So Please show me where I go to see what you say is the law.

6. Native NV Ducker

There are strict rules for birds in your POSSESSION. If you want to take in birds, you should have the documentation, IF you are going to be over your limits.

Last year, on the MT opener, the guy I took didn't want his birds. He had a limit, I had 2. I walked him back to his truck. He wrote down the type of birds, the time, his license #, the date on a piece of paper. We also had zip lock tags on his birds.

I went back to hunting. When I finished my limit, and was back at my truck, the Wardens finally came by for their normal opening day check. I showed him the birds I had in the truck, and those on my strap.

They thanked me for actually knowing the rules, and that was that. Nobody called my buddy at home. Once he gave them away, he was out of the picture.

Neck Collar likes this.
  7. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

I am wondering if LmbKiller is referring to this North American waterfowl mgt plan??

https://www.fws.gov/birds/managemen...-waterfowl-management-plan/plan-documents.php

There is also the Migratory Bird Treaty act of 1918
    https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

Not sure if anyone cares but here is a proposal to change the Migratory Birds Regulations. I think it might have been posted in Canadians Hunters Forum this summer.
    http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2019/2019-06-01/html/reg3-eng.html

8. Lmbkiller

My bad, migratory act like cnwd posted.....so ken when u are coming back to the states and they ask if u were hunting and how many birds u have, u say none, they say u didn’t kill any or u gave them away? Then they ask to who and how many....the usfws guys can take it to the nth degree. The sky is the limit for them. Does that mean they are always goin to be that? Of course not, but to think u are free and clear cuz u gifted all your birds away is sticking your head in the sand

9. Native NV Ducker

The USFW guys have no jurisdiction in CA. They are there to check the import regulations, not the hunting regulations.

wtrfwlr43 likes this.
  10. Lmbkiller

They don’t need jurisdiction up there, one phone call to a warden in CA is all it would take. They cooperatively work cases together for big game violations quite often.....