Brisket tips

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by ducknwork, Nov 17, 2020.

1. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

Smoking my first brisket for my graduation party this weekend and don’t want to screw it up, so I’m going to be doing a bunch of research between now and then. What tips or information do y’all have?

2. Canyoncrosser

Canyoncrosser Senior Refuge Member

Let it rest afterwards for an hour in a insulated place... tricky cut of meat to perfect though I feel.

Bclick likes this.
  3. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Go to Costco (or similar) and get their PRIME whole brisket. Trim some of the fat off the top. I like a rub with a sweetness to it, put it on the night before and wrap in plastic/foil. During cooking I spray the brisket a couple times with apple cider vinegar that has brown sugar dissolved in it.

What kind of smoker do you have? If you have never done a brisket before, electric (thermostat) is going to be much easier. Plan on 12-14 hours of tending the smoker for a whole brisket. I cook by touch/feel more now, I can just tell but cook at 220-230, when the piece of meat hits 185-195, pull it and wrap in foil for an hour or so, internal temperature will increase to around 200. Start with a good piece of meat, after that consistent cook temperature is most important.

Do not pay any attention to any advice you get from sources that don't have a background rooted in Texas.

Mr_Mallard and widgeon like this.
  4. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Low 200-210 and slow 16-18 hours. Oak or pecan. Let rest a bit afterword's. Yummy stuff.

Out of focus likes this.
  5. twall

twall Senior Refuge Member

Pay attention to the direction of the grain of the meat, it changes between the flat and the round, when you slice it. If you are getting stringy pieces turn the meat 90 degrees. I like a long smoke so try not to let my smoker get over 220.

Enjoy!

Tom

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Start early. Much earlier than you think--you'll need 14-16hrs or more for smoking and several more for resting(4-5hrs is ideal). CAB or Prime full packer, trim and season with Kosher salt and course ground pepper, smoke at around 225. Spritz occasionally if you'd like. When temp stalls at around 160ish wrap in butcher paper with a little beef broth, then cook until around 200 or a little over. Will need to go by feel a bit though once close to temp; go too far and it will crumble instead of slice. Unfortunately it's not an exact science.

When close to done pour some hot water in your cooler and let it warm up until brisket is done. Dump water, put brisket in cooler, cover with some old towels, and don't touch it for several hours. Remove, slice, enjoy.

hotbeer likes this.
  7. duckdown1

duckdown1 Elite Refuge Member

The best advice I can give you is experiment on one before the party lol. They are the best meat smoked but the hardest to get right!

letmwurk likes this.
  8. jjgoose

jjgoose Elite Refuge Member

take this for whats it worth, but I find smoking a brisket hard to screw up. im no expert, but what I do is get those briskets form costco in the package. dosent matter what size. Prep is minimal. take the brisket and smother dijon mustard on the outside. I then take "sweet rub o mine" and coat the outside liberally. the combination of mustard and rub makes the perfect bark on the brisket. then just throw it on the rack of the smoker. i go at 225. i use a temp probe in the middle of the brisket. cant remember for sure, but I think i usually try to take it to 190~195 I think. if it stalls out, pul it real fast and wrap in aluminum foil. When it hits the internal temp, pull it and let it sit for an hour wrapped in aluminum foil. comes out just about perfect every time. I smoke with apple and run smoke the entire time.

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Tough to nail on your first go around for sure! It seems to me to be one of those things that doesn't take long to get the hang of the basics and have decent outcomes, but it takes many many cooks to master it!

Another similar option that's much more forgiving would be a chuck roll. Like a pork butt but beef. You'll essentially wind up with pulled beef but the flavor is fantastic and it's much more difficult to mess up.

10. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member

Used to do a lot of smoking in the trailer park. Neighbors would be saying "oh God there he goes again smoking us up for 12 hours again...".
    They never thought of tossing some bratwurst or bologna or something on. Huge smoker. Would rather suffer.