Brisket tips

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by ducknwork, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

This. You can read and learn and research all you want, but until you put the rubber to the road it’s all theoretical. You can usually buy just the point and those take about half the time as the full thing and I did several of those before I ever tried my first full brisket.
    Also apply your rub liberally. You seasoning the whole piece of meat from just the outside.

2. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

Lots of good advice already. Take this from someone who has thrown away too many briskets because I screwed them up. Make sure your smoker can hold temperature for a very long time. The electrics and pellets make it easy to do so. Use butcher paper to wrap and know at what point to wrap.

I'd suggest you do several experimental runs until you get it right. Keep notes on each one so you know what to change/keep on the next one.

If you really want learn more about it then subscribe and watch this: https://www.masterclass.com/classes/aaron-franklin-teaches-texas-style-bbq

Bclick likes this.
  3. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Don't rush it takes a long time.
    Wrap and put in a dry cooler to finish off and rest.

I think the trimming prior to the tub is important too

4. Riverfisher

Riverfisher Senior Refuge Member

As was said before, make sure you have PRIME brisket! Choice, and Select brisket will be tough. I start with a whole packer brisket, and separate the point from the flat because they cook differently, and you get more bark on your burnt ends if you separate the two muscles. Save the excess beef fat (and there will be lots of it) for sausage grinding.

The point takes longer to cook than the flat. Cook both at 225-250, to an internal temp of 195-200 degrees, then let rest in a cooler for an hour or so before slicing. An instant read thermometer makes it almost fool proof. Get a good one, like a Thermapen Mk4. Congrats on your graduation!

widgeon likes this.
  5. Bclick

Bclick Elite Refuge Member

Watch this 3 part series

letmwurk likes this.
  6. Damian Wiening

Damian Wiening Elite Refuge Member

When I hit the stall, temp going up real slow after 10 hours I wrapped mine in foil and set the temp at 375 degrees and finished it at 195 degrees, set it in a wrapped in towels in a pre-warmed cooler for an hour. Afterward when we opened it up the juice poured out, it was great.

Beware the stall and good luck and buy a remote temp sensor yo can read in the house, that's a great tool.

7. Capt. Cormorant

Capt. Cormorant Elite Refuge Member

Trim excess fat, monitor meat temp pull and pull at desired temp and wrap in foil. Then wrap your wife's good guest bath towels. Throw in a cooler "no ice" it will stay hot for hours!

Grif likes this.
  8. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the tips so far, keep them coming. Already have a wireless thermometer. Also, a practice run isn’t happening. And the meat was mooing on a private farm last week. My brothers texted me and told me to run by the local butcher for my graduation gift. I thought they must have bought me a nice steak, to my shock and surprise they called in a 16lb brisket, two racks of fresh baby backs and some sausage. So....aside from practice run, keep the advice coming. Thanks guys!

9. ibfowl

ibfowl Senior Refuge Member

Tip #1 do not take any advice from the guys telling you to add anything sweet to brisket unless you are just making burnt ends out of the whole thing. Because they don't have enough sense to know that brisket shouldn't be sweet at all it's not pork BBQ.

tcc and snipe a duck like this.
  10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Yep. Especially for your first run a good dose of salt and pepper is hard to beat.

ibfowl likes this.