Broke the bead off

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by creedsduckman, Dec 23, 2018.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Then all you have to do is find an easy out that's less than 2.6 mm and hope you don't break something that thin off trying to remove the broke screw.

creedsduckman likes this.
  2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I know I tried. Broke it off just beneath the rib trying just that. I ordered a kit from brownells with the drill bit and tap but don't like the bead so ordered a different one similar to OEM from midway. I'll see how it goes.

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

My SX3 was bad about either cracking or loosing that cheap plastic bead. Ordered several metal bead replacements (aftermarket) that wouldn’t fit. Finally took to gunsmith who retapped it. A little blue loctite and I’ve been trouble free since.
    Might want to consider a gunsmith’s services ..

4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Have you tried the raw potato trick? :l:l:l

I have never once seen the bead on my shotgun while shooting it, so unless you're looking at resale prices they are useless. :yes
    But I understand that some people just want their guns to be perfect, mine, on the other hand, are tools that get used and used hard. I keep them clean and lubed but besides that a well worn gun is just sexy to me. :l:yes:tu

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  5. creedsduckman

Oh I agree. I beat the crap outta my guns. I never look at the bead except maybe cripples but I'm still gonna try to fix it. Could care less about resale values I don't sell guns. It's just in my head that I need to fix it.

callinfowl likes this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I get it, new gun might as well keep it looking good as long as you can.
    When I broke mine off I tried to get it out because there was a touch sticking out of the barrrel, after a few attempts I said screw it I'm going to end up doing more harm than good.:l:l:l

7. creedsduckman

Going on its 12th season I dont know if I'd call that new. Its broke I gotta try to fix it, got that from my dad, just to see if I can.

callinfowl likes this.
  8. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Oh, I thought I read it was sbe3 for some reason.:l:tu

9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I just ordered a couple of white beads (my old school favorite) to replace factory on a couple of shotguns. Brownells has a guide to the threads per inch that different shotgun makers use. Usually it is 3.45 or 3.56 and some use metric designation. It is important to get the right one to match if you succeed in spinning the old base out of the threaded hole.

10. creedsduckman

20190105_160110.jpg
    Used the drill bit and tap from the kit at brownells but didn't like the white bead so I found a truglo sight that's almost exactly like the original.