Browning A5 dura touch issues

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Diesel0889, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Diesel0889

Diesel0889 Refuge Member

My question is do all turn snotty and sticky?
    Mine is a 16 model and has not skipped a beat. If it's going to be a problem or you have had it, did browning stand by there product?

I love my gun and dont want to loose it for a year to be replaced. I'd rather buy parts at that point and consider a Remington, beretta or benelli etc. And keep the a5 for a spare gun in the truck. Benelli sent me parts in the past and said keep the junk they believed me lol. I own many brownings and love them but have heard many opinions on how they are about parts replacement.

Mine is ok still but want to know what to expect is all. Thanks for any info... figured is ask before buying another one... good luck everyone!

2. Huntinherrington

Huntinherrington New Member

If it becomes defective you will have to send it to browning. They will inspect it. If there is an issue they will fix it. If you are just sending it in to be replaced before it gets sticky, they will send it back and you have to pay for the shipping. Possibly a fee also. I don't have my letter with me at the moment. I am sending my Browning BPS 10 next week. Already filed for the work and they sent a shipping label.

From what i have heard, If you have black stocks then its only a couple weeks but if it is camo (mine is MODB) it takes several months. They send the camo gun to a 3rd party company to be dipped.

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

It will be worth it. Was for my SX3.

4. yankeegray

yankeegray Senior Refuge Member

Sent my in on the sx3. Had a new stock index for arm back to me in less than 45 days. Camo pattern not a exact match but so far this year the ducks don’t mind

5. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

So you've not had a problem yet ? I bought a camo A5 the first year they were released. Not a problem and the dura touch has held up fine.

p

6. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

All of mine have eventually turned to sticky goop...

A-Bolt was the worst, they repaired nicely...

Silver is a lost cause, shoots great though...

Two BPS’s are failing now...

Two A5’s are starting to get tacky...

7. NannySlayer

NannySlayer New Member

Has anyone tried to clean the sticky off with a solvent? I know something will take it off, but will it mess up the finish?

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ It’s a latex rubber film (Duratouch) over the plastic base. Would check with someone in the chemical industry to see what solvent(s) might work.

9. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Bought the Maxus last year with DT. Literally haven't washed the exterior of the gun based on what I've read, just trying to extend its life. It is abit tacky though, but not serious at this time.
    Will continue to do the same but eventually I think it will be back at Browning for repairs.

10. Diesel0889

Diesel0889 Refuge Member

Not a problem.I also use other guns as well. Has only 35-50 days in the field but alot were hale, snow rain etc. I do however take VERY good care of my guns and it has not been exposed to deet or solvent of any kind. (Only where ok broken down) I assumed it may be an issue before I even knew of problems with them.

I was thinking that the 2016 models may have been fixed and that's why I'm asking. They dont make them with it anymore to my knowlage. Also think if it's a problem with all of them they should set you up before you have it. Between me and family have prob 50 brownings. Very rare to have any problems with them. A spring or other 50 doller or less part, I need no warranty for that and would prob not bother with more than a call at best to document it with them. A stock on a 1600 plus doller gun should not have such a major flaw IMO. My favorite gun by far and I'd but another in a heartbeat. I'm wondering do they all do it? Max 5 stock seems harder to find than others to just buy it... again no problems yet but I also had a mossberg 935 that doubled as a boat paddle for many years and never jammed or malfunction once. Skeet, duck, goose, pheasant. Flawless gun in that aspect. Could have been used as an anchor to lol. Also had other mossberg with problems and they did more than needed to make it right. If it didnt require sending gun they just send me the parts... maybe depends who you talk to. Maybe I'll just have it dipped. I'd just hate to loose it for 6 plus months. I do love my a5 though...