Browning Maxus problems

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by mdduck, Sep 10, 2019.

1. mdduck

mdduck New Member

I’ve had my maxus for around 4 years and after year 1 I started having issues. It won’t eject light loads. And won’t eject high brass half the time. Bolt is also very slow and stiff to move by hand. Any suggestions? Yes I oil it and clean after every hunt

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

You take your gun apart after every hunt? I think I took my Maxus apart 5 times. Did you clean the buffer tube in the stock? Sounds like it’s gunked up.

3. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Have you ever had the butt stock off and cleaned the recoil tube and spring? If the answer is no... you're welcome.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

There are 4 parts.

5. duckman54

duckman54 Senior Refuge Member

I got my Maxus when they first came out. The only problem I ever had was when a spring broke in the
    piston, I know it caused ejection problems but can't remember if the bolt was hard to pull back. The spring
    actually broke twice in the first couple of years and both were replaced by Browning. I've never had to pull
    my butt stock off and it's had 1,000's of rounds fired through it. It's been flawless since.

6. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

The piston spring would have no impact whatsoever on how hard the bolt is to pull back by hand. When you pull the bolt back, the spring in the stock is what's providing the resistance and pushes the bolt back into battery when you let go. That's cool that you've gotten by neglecting the spring that drives the bolt for this long, but that certainly doesn't mean that's the norm and that others shouldn't clean theirs. It also doesn't mean you won't regret not cleaning it one day. Water, powder, cattail fluff, and all other manner of junk can gunk that tube up, which then stops your bolt's ability to function.

dog duck gun and OneShotBandit like this.
  7. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

I,ve even seen a stray steel #2 shot work its way into recoil spring tube. Caused exact problem your having with bolt hard to cycle. Gun wouldn,t cycle shells after first fired. Recoil tube of course nasty from no cleaning. Once disassembled and properly cleaned and mashed shot removed gun worked fine. Make it a habit once a year to do a thorough cleaning and your problems probably won,t exist. Eventually that recoil spring may need replaceing especially if its fed a steady diet of 3.5" shells. That's just part of normal maint on any gas operated auto. The spring in the piston is another problem that may or may not pop up but that's not making bolt hard to come back.

dog duck gun likes this.
  8. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

I've got a Maxus. When it starts not ejecting or cycling 3/4 oz skeet loads as far, clean the tube and spring in butstock. All the same symptoms as you, bolt gets harder to cycle etc. Clean that thing

dog duck gun likes this.