Browning Maxus Shims moving/breaking??

LADucks

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have a Browning Maxus, never had any real problems out of it. It had Duratouch on it and we did that whole ordeal. Since I've gotten it back, I've broken two shims on it. You put the stock on, tighten it down, and when shooting... the shim walks up towards the top of the shotgun and may be sticking out 1/16" of an inch between the stock and the receiver. I'm guessing this makes the shim get pinched and it snaps it when you keep shooting. Keep in mind these are shims that are just a ring of material, not a solid piece with one little hole in the middle. Has anyone ever encountered this? Am I tightening it too much... not enough? Scared tightening it anymore and it would snap them right from the beginning. This is an issue because they don't make them anymore, and I'd really hate for the gun to disappear back at Browning for a year...

SkolMNDuckHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The shim is a complete ring that fully surrounds a protrusion on the stock, so if it's mounted right it really shouldn't be able to migrate any direction if it's being held there.

The Super X 3 shims look pretty much identical, and the only issue I have ifi tighten the nut on the stock bolt too tight is that I can't get the trigger group back in. If you've not had that issue, and the shim is somehow moving on you, I would venture a guess that your stock bolt nut was not very tight and not holding the shim onto the matching stock protrusion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220805-093708_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220805-093708_Samsung Internet.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 6

LADucks

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
My theory was that the sandblast/recoating changed thickness on the stock or receiver in a part of the mount making either the angle of the stock bolt weird or pushing the shim in a direction. I'll play some more tonight, but I'm pretty certain I've tightened it down as much as one would want multiple times.

C M Wings

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My theory was that the sandblast/recoating changed thickness on the stock or receiver in a part of the mount making either the angle of the stock bolt weird or pushing the shim in a direction. I'll play some more tonight, but I'm pretty certain I've tightened it down as much as one would want multiple times.
Can you post a picture of how you have it installed and the possible thickness delta mentioned? I agree that these shims typically fit over the butt on the stock and I don’t see how they can migrate. If there is a thickness issue I’m curious as to the “new” stock/receiver interface.

LADucks

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sure. I'll do some tinkering this evening and report back.