Browning - Winchester dura touch repair

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Rice Hunter, May 8, 2019.

1. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

So, I've got a Winchester SX3 in MODB that the stock and forearm are too sticky for functional use.

Since the lawsuit (discussed here previously), Winchester/Browning have agreed to fix all the duratouch. I spoke to a customer rep today and he told me that with discontinued patterns (such as MODB) they will re-dip the entire gun to a "close" matching pattern. He told me all that work is contracted out to a third party. They anticipate 3 months, but it may take as long as 6 months. You can go on their website, fill out a form, including the serial number of the gun and they email you a UPS label to send it in.

https://duratouchsupport.browning.com/

This gun is not my primary duck gun, I use it mostly for sporting clays and to let guests borrow. I will miss it this summer, but will have to make do with a few other scatterguns in the safe.

I am going to pack mine up and send it in, will document how it goes here. I'm a bit nervous about it, as the camo actually looks really good, its just too sticky.

2. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Recently purchased a Maxus with DT, really hoping i dont have to resort to this, but rest assured it WILL happen.
    Look forward to your results.

3. duckman54

duckman54 Senior Refuge Member

I replied months ago when there was a thread about some guns getting sticky and said mine didn't have the
    problem. I didn't shoot my Maxus for one season as I was using my new A400. Decided to get it out of the gun
    safe this last season and it was bad sticky.

Heard about them doing a redo from that thread and got mine sent in. I got a email on Jan 31st that they had
    received it, haven't heard anything back yet. The person I talked to also said it might be six months before I get it
    back.

4. 10gaBBB

10gaBBB Elite Refuge Member

Had the sticky problem on the forearm and stock of a Gold Lite 10. Got ahold of Browning cs and they sent out a new stock and forearm. Got it in 3 days. New Shadowgrass Blades definitely doesnt come close to the original M.O. Shadowgrass......but close enough for my use.

5. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Remembered that I had the original box for this sx3. Got it out, cut off label with serial number and specs and got it packed up. You can see how good camo looks, it's just sticky.

When I asked customer service about new process, they said it's stripped and hydro-dipped, which is why they have outsourced the repairs.

Will be dropped off at UPS tomorrow. Included printed email that they sent me which said it should be included. Had my contact info and SN.

[​IMG]

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The DT coating was latex rubber that has long been known to fail with contact by many cleaning solvents as well as the oil and acidity of the human hand. Makes you wonder....what were they thinking?

7. yankeegray

yankeegray Senior Refuge Member

Question. Are you required to send the complete shotgun or only the stock and forearm ?

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Isn't there duratouch on the metal also? The pics above, it is.

9. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

No DT on the metal for the numerous DT guns I have purchased...

ronaldo likes this.
  10. duckman54

duckman54 Senior Refuge Member

Yes, I was told to send the complete shotgun in. I still had the original box it came in, broke it down and returned
    it in it.