Building the Marsh Monster Layout!

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by DUCKEY, Jan 14, 2020.

1. DUCKEY

DUCKEY Refuge Member

Hey bud....I’m well aware that there is to much fabric as stated, and it will be trimmed as I mentioned. I’m following the plans and talking to folks who have done this same build the same way and don’t share your opinions. But your opinions are your opinions and your entitled to them! I’ll let you know how it works out next season.

JonVeeDub likes this.
  2. DUCKEY

DUCKEY Refuge Member

As I mentioned in my post there is to much fabric and it will get trimmed quite a bit to make it snug and not bunched on the frame. I’ve made my frame according to the plans and have spoken to others who have built this and they have not voiced the frame being to small. I’ve looked at a lot of layout boat spray skirts and seen so many different variations that it’s been done. You opinions are your opinions and ur entitled to them. I’ll let you know how it works next Season.

3. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Patronize much?

JonVeeDub likes this.
  4. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I know I'm nobody to you, so why should you pay any attention to some guy on the net. You can and will do as you like. That being said, what would be the cost to see if there is a better way. $20 to $30 buck maybe. Take it from someone who has redone a project a couple of times. It's easier to start over earlier than to redo it at the end. I'm just an old guy that's been around the block a few time, what the h__l could I have to offer. Good luck.

Tuleman likes this.
  5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Nice looking layout.
    As one who has done his share of hunting from a layout blind (not a pumpkinseed), I'm thinking your punkinseed may be a bit uncomfortable and you'll....sooner or later....build another one that will be a modification of this one. (No first boat is perfect...
    One issue I noticed from the start of this great project, is that the cockpit is located too far aft. You want your center of gravity to be at or forward of the center of buoyancy. Otherwise you'll be laying out with your feet higher than your butt, which is not good. You can, of course, adjust this with additional ballast...but extra ballast is never a good thing. Better to correct this with design changes. Also, ten dollars says the next one you build will have a wider...by 4 to 6 inches....cockpit. :yes
    Thank you for sharing your build with us, sir! You've done a pretty good job, especially considering that this is your first build. I made a ton of mistakes on my first boat-build and a couple more on my second. You can be proud of your workmanship! Well done.

no harm-no fowl likes this.
  6. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I was finally able to get up to the lodge and get some pics of the cowling I made for my layout. As you can see in the following pics, there are no folds where it attaches the canvas to the boat. The pic with my hand is to show the rise of the cowling. Plenty of height to repel waves. We layout hunt mallards, and have found that color to work for us. The grey seems to work better for divers.
    20200330_143112.jpg 20200330_142756.jpg 20200330_142940.jpg 20200330_143125.jpg

7. JonVeeDub

JonVeeDub New Member

DUCKEY: I don't know man, your boat is looking AMAZING!!! Would love to hunt out of something like that. I do not posses your woodworking skills or your patience, so I bought the Beavertail Final Attack and yours looks WAYYYY better put together than what I have. Please keep posting progress (what ever is left) and updates. Again, amazing work man

8. DUCKEY

DUCKEY Refuge Member

Thanks for all the feedback. There are some changes I’ll make if I build another one....or mods after using it this fall. The final weight on this rig is 116 lbs which I don’t think is to bad.

9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If you encounter waves that come up to the skirt, I'm afraid a lot of water will collect between the cowling and the skirt. Maybe enough to collapse the frame.
    You might want to re-think the skirt/cowling design before you put it on the water. At least run a stream out of the garden hose up to the junction of the cowling and the skirt to see if I'm right.....?

10. DUCKEY

DUCKEY Refuge Member