Building the Marsh Monster Layout!

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by DUCKEY, Jan 14, 2020.

1. DUCKEY

DUCKEY Refuge Member

2. MQ

MQ Elite Refuge Member

Good to see the fun has begun. Post a few pics of your hunts.

3. DUCKEY

DUCKEY Refuge Member

Will do. The dam cold sapped my battery on my phone so I only got one pic last hunt

4. DUCKEY

DUCKEY Refuge Member

8F40F7D6-8851-4DEA-AEAE-B61CBAAA2A0A.jpeg 0DF01D88-459C-461B-973E-6863D5B7DC6A.jpeg 99F46177-8CE3-450B-853F-048B76F4C200.jpeg 6233BFE4-C4DA-41F2-A31E-436C2693F375.jpeg Great morning on the bay. Targeted Old Squaw. But put out the usual spread for divers. Lots of ducks flying and lots of fishing boats driving around to keep em moving. Shot 4 hen sqaws and a golden eye hen. Lost a couple crippled squaw unfortunately. Expended lots of shells but it was a fun cold grey morning hunt on the bay!

goodluck, MQ and longduck like this.
  5. MQ

MQ Elite Refuge Member

Looks like a good time. Glad your project turned out so successful.

DUCKEY likes this.
  6. smith46

smith46 Senior Refuge Member

Wow the boat came out great! Thanks for sharing from start to finish.

DUCKEY likes this.
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Going back, I see two changes I'd make in the designs:
    1. Make the bottom the same depth bow-to-stern. Making it deeper in the bow only serves to raise the bow higher than the stern. This, combined with most of your body mass being located in the stern....both from placement and because you are heavier from the waist up than from the waist down...means the stern will ride lower in the water than in the bow, a very uncomfortable body position to lay in.
    2. The grass rails on the 'canoe' in the above picture: cut the excess ends OFF! While aesthetically pleasing, the resulting notches will catch vegetation every time you try to push it in the cattails/bulrush/smartweed/etc to hide it.
    All in all, though, a worthy project! I'd like to see some more photos and a report on the layout's performance!

8. DUCKEY

DUCKEY Refuge Member

The foot end of the drop box is 5 3/8” deep and is just right for foot room and also has no negative buoyancy issues. And is quite comfortable to lay in, have had several folks hunt in it with no complaints. As far as the kayak goes I’ve had no issues with the grass rails catching any vegetation and hindering movement. I’ve posted several pictures on this thread from hunt with the layout, I’m very pleased with it, very sturdy can handle a 2’ chop and most importantly stays dry.

9. DUCKEY

DUCKEY Refuge Member

I did find other boats built with the full drop box that I think went down 10” and they did end up with to much buoyancy and needed ballast to counter it. Some hunters used the full drop box depth but they were rather tall and large folks. I made my depth just right to keep my feet comfy and not to splayed out to the side.

Dave in AZ likes this.