California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Bullpen...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Calikev, May 29, 2021.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

It always makes one think how much influence the Bookies have on umpiring a playoff game ? In this case all 5 games !
    When the games outcome is controlled by BAD Calls , kind of shows how awful MLB has become !
    This game last night was a perfect example to end the series ! What a SHAME

2. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Did you watch the series? Pen got lit two games and YES Doval gave it up.

So there you go.

Offense had their chances but hitting with RISP was awful. Nothing new there. HR reliant team. Giants need a guy like Betts. That guy is a stud.

mak2782 and DERODOM like this.
  3. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Oh and Giants scored 10 runs in this series. I had the run total wrong.

4. DERODOM

DERODOM Elite Refuge Member

You got it all wrong. The talent on the Giants team was not even close to the loaded Dodger team. Roberts had the luxury of flexibility. The Dodgers have 4 arms that would be a dominant closer on most teams in their pen... in addition to a better starting staff. Let's not even discuss their All Star offensive team.

Kapler did an incredible job as a manager this year. The Giants overachieved! The Dodgers are the better team.

5. double limit

double limit Elite Refuge Member

I agree with everything you posted.
    But I'm talking strictly about game 5. The Giants could of won this game, or at least shut down the Dodgers in the 9th.
    Kap had options. He decided on the rookie against his solid lefties in the pen. Heck he could of pitched Wood or any other lefty against Bellinger
    but he stuck with the rookie.
    On to the ducks. 8 days to go. Have a safe season to all.

6. Kornfed

Kornfed Elite Refuge Member

Got to see some of the best Giant baseball since our run years back. Sucks to go out like that, but I’m not gonna let it ruin the magical year it was. Tip my hat to them Giants.

Runnin_Chupacabra and DuckFan like this.
  7. chubby

chubby Elite Refuge Member

2 runs a game is not enough to win most series. Would have been nice if Wade homered after Turner's error. That jerk would have never lived it down.

Coach_quack likes this.
  8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I have so many thoughts this morning but this one rises to the top. Along with the crushing disappointment that the game should not have ended on that check swing call. As Kruk and Kuip say, "ownage is ownage" and Scherzer flat out owns Wilmer but hey...in baseball hope springs eternal and who knows if the next pitch would have produced a home run and ended Scherzer's streak?

I think Will Smith's pitch framing skills last night produced some strikes that were clearly out of the zone, but Posey is a pretty good framer and I don't think we got the same calls. My son's first text to me after the game was "time for robot umpires".

What a chess game the managers played last night first with Doc's use of an "opener" and then with Kap's releasing the starting lineup at the last possible minute. Then the whole game long Roberts saying Scherzer was not available when you knew he was and you knew that somehow you would see him.

Magical and exciting Giants season and I sure wish it would not have ended, especially to the Dodgers. Go Braves!!!!!!!!!

9. FinnsNFeathers

FinnsNFeathers Senior Refuge Member

A bit of a poll for the brain trust here. Who would like to see robo umps just for called balls/strikes with no swing? And who is against it? Nothing to do with last nights game. I don't think the umps ultimately decided that game or the series. But Birdman brought something up that I've debated with my friends for years.

I am so sick of seeing the inconsistency and outright bad balls/strikes called at the plate. I get it. It's a damn tough job. And truthfully, most of those MLB umps do about as good as a human could do.

But we have the technology now to have the exact same strike zone called day in and day out, with immediate feedback...as quick as todays calls. Either an electronic device for the home plate ump to signal himself or a simple signal in center field for everyone to see.

Yeah, they may need to tweak the strike zone rules a bit to fit the modern accepted zone and a few other nuances. But I don't care about that. It isn't hard. Define it. Program it. Done. Every single pitcher and every single batter at every park around the country will be dealing with the exact same zone every night. No "situational" calls. No future HOFers vs Rookie calls. The strike zone is the strike zone. Period.

This seems like a no brainer to me. I honestly can't even understand the argument against it. "Human error is a part of the game"...why? So we can all complain about it the next day?

10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Although one of the great traditions of baseball is seeing each of the home plate ump's signature "ring up" calls, I vote for robo umps. Maybe you should start a separate thread with poll?

Flyfisher likes this.