Decoy Forum Sponsors

Burlap DEMO by SafetyMan

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by SafetyMan, May 29, 2004.

1. SafetyMan

SafetyMan Elite Refuge Member

UPDATED 6-14-06
    NEW PICTURES ADDED!!!

Sorry for the blurry pics, I had Ricky take them while I worked....
    I'll get more up as we go.

Here's a step by step of my method of burlapping Herters.

This is what I started with, a dozen Herters, some Nitrile gloves, ceramic tile adhesive, and burlap that I made and cut to pattern before starting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SafetyMan

Using the gloves, I then smeared the mastic over the decoy.

I do the bottom first, you end up with a cleaner looking final product.

I also learned that using less mastic is better than using more. put a thin coat on first, then get your burlap in place and let it cure, THEN go back over with a thicker coat of mastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SafetyMan

After you get your bottom burlap on, flip the decoy over and immediately put the top on. I like to leave the bottom and top overlap an inch or so, so I know I've got a solid seam.

You want your mastic to be wet on wet, so it dries together forming a seamless shell.

Keep an OLD pair of scissors handy to trim the edges to make them look nicer. You will usually have a string or 2 to cut.
    (DISCLAIMER: DO NOT USE YOUR WIFE'S GOOD SHEARS TO DO THIS. DOING SO COULD CAUSE GREAT BODILY HARM UP TO AND INCLUDING DEATH)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SafetyMan

Once you have top and bottom on, then use your hands to smooth everything out.

Remember that you are going to paint these to look like ducks, and duck feathers run front to back, smooth from the front to the back and any 'streaks' left in the mastic will look more natural.

Find a safe place to put your decoys as you work on them, and let them set up.

After the first coat of mastic dries, I suggest a second, more liberal coat. I use the heel of my hand to rub and work the mastic into the spaces of the burlap. The tough area is the shoulders, right behind the head. Before you paint, you will want to put a couple coats of mastic there to make sure all the holes are relatively filled in.

I personally like the look of the burlap, and with the paint style you are going to see, it helps immensely. So for mine, I let the grain show... but I encourage you to experiment and make unique birds!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SafetyMan

While my bodies were drying, I went to work on the heads. Sorry, I didn't get pictures, but I'll describe what I did.

I used new, unpainted heads, so I used acetone to wipe down to remove all release agents from the molding process.

I then gave them a good coat of Red Oxide Primer, good color for can's and redheads. Then I spray painted the bill, and a shot to the face with ultra flat black,

I then painted the eyes red, added a black pupil, and put some of "SafetyMan's Secret Sauce"* to the eye to make it shine.

I hung them in the garage to dry.

When the bodies were dry, I then did a second coat of ceramic tile adhesive, hung, and let dry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*SafetyMan's Secret Sauce is "Teflon Tuff" clear fingernail polish ;)

6. SafetyMan

For the body paint, I bought a can of "Disney Mickey Mouse Ear Black" from HD. Basically it's clear base with 3oz of lamp black in it, nothing else. Dries nice and black. I also used flat white. Both of them flat exterior latex.

I think I'll kill some birds over them.... :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bear101

Bear101 Senior Refuge Member

Good demo Safety, I really like the can you have hanging up !!!!

8. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

Looks like the toughest part of the project for you is yet to come Chip.;)

9. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

good demo, nice looking bunch of decoys.

10. oldducknut

oldducknut Elite Refuge Member

great demo thks. was wonderin about how much shine comin off them though