CA Salmon Season closed for 2023

thekillerofmallard

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
TKOM,

This isn’t directed at you, but you provided some language that I’ve been hearing.

I’ve heard a lot of people talking about how the Halibut are going to get pounded this year.

It’s a bummer that Salmon is closed. If the commercial guys and guides want it closed to collect Fed money, then so be it. I’ll support that. But why should those guys then be able to recuperate additional money by increased halibut fishing?

I support commercial fishermen and guides. But I’m not ok with taking taxpayer money and then also getting to profit off of private dollars in a double dipping type of scenario.

Just my 2 cents.

That's also being discussed or so I hear. I have no clue on what a boat makes per yr I don't they are getting rich tho??? It's just not them it's the other 100/200 private guys that would be out salmon fishing now they will be on the bay. Also rockfish starts out in 300' and over starts in May instead of April then all water depth starts in July. IMO if you don't have electric reels no rockfish till July. It's a F ing mess

HONKSRWORKN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You guys are snowed if you believe DFG data .. they’re taking their numbers from drought years … I’m fine with the ocean closure , they’re the problem if there really is one … It Dont take a Rocket scientist to figure out the numbers are really low cus the water is really low and really to find the truth they need numbers from a regular water yrs not the drought yrs .. The fish are not all dumb , when there’s not enough water they don’t all go up to spawn ..
Bottom line is that river Sportfishermen dont take enough fish to even make a pimple in the numbers Besides Any Hatchery sustained Salmon fishery should always have enough fish , it’s inexcusable when they don’t .. This year with all the water ..both the Sac and Feather are gona be full of Salmon .. it’ll be a banner yr like always after a drought ..

Reactions: JRS

Plumgold1

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The halibut are most definitely about to take a pounding this season. Add an additional 100 boats any given fishing day ontop of the fleet...will be way easier to find em that's for sure...

20220501_091051.jpg

Last edited:

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This closure is the same as closing Duck hunting season in California.
Direct links can be shown to state and federal water policy. Proof of that is the very, very low return rate numbers of Coleman Hatchery Salmon that had to run the gauntlet of poor water quality and flow to get to the Ocean. Other proof of that is the high return rate of Mokelumne River Hatchery Salmon that were trucked to pens and released in tidewater.
Holeinthesky, Salmon return based on their genetic dictated timing not thought processes by them about flows.
Due to violated laws and promises of assuring cold water to protect federally Endangered Winter Run Salmon, they are rapidly becoming a museum species. Spring Run Salmon were once the most numerous Salmon in California. The illegal damming of the San Joaquin River really put a hurt on them. The virtual extinction of Delta Smelt which were federally listed as endangered in 1996, and have not been found in yearly sampling since 2016 is another clear indicator of bad water policy management decisions. As some of you may know Delta Smelt were once the most numerous fish in the delta.
So again to put this complete Salmon fishing closure, which may extend all the way to Cape Falcon Oregon in perspective, think no duck hunting next year.

thekillerofmallard

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Direct links can be shown to state and federal water policy. Proof of that is the very, very low return rate numbers of Coleman Hatchery Salmon that had to run the gauntlet of poor water quality and flow to get to the Ocean. Other proof of that is the high return rate of Mokelumne River Hatchery Salmon that were trucked to pens and released in tidewater.
Holeinthesky, Salmon return based on their genetic dictated timing not thought processes by them about flows.
Due to violated laws and promises of assuring cold water to protect federally Endangered Winter Run Salmon, they are rapidly becoming a museum species. Spring Run Salmon were once the most numerous Salmon in California. The illegal damming of the San Joaquin River really put a hurt on them. The virtual extinction of Delta Smelt which were federally listed as endangered in 1996, and have not been found in yearly sampling since 2016 is another clear indicator of bad water policy management decisions. As some of you may know Delta Smelt were once the most numerous fish in the delta.
So again to put this complete Salmon fishing closure, which may extend all the way to Cape Falcon Oregon in perspective, think no duck hunting next year.

Looks like it's going to be two yrs ouch!!! Can you imagine no duck season for two yrs then opening day WOW!!!!!

• Haha

JWR

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
In talking to the Chairman of the PFMC yesterday he says its a done deal. He had pushed for some sort of sport season alternative, even a short one, but that was a non starter. The PFMC meeting in Santa Rosa this Tuesday is just a formality.

Oddly enough I was at a swap meet yesterday and the salmon gear I was selling went quickly despite people knowing there would be no season for 2 years. Fisher folks, like hunters are optimists...

CalBaer

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Think no duck hunting next year.
I feel for the salmon and the fisherman that depend on the resource. CA water politics continually screws the resource. We ended commercial market waterfowl hunting years ago. It's too bad recreational salmon fishing is closed, too. I don't necessarily agree with the analogy as it relates to duck hunting in CA. Unless, of course, you are referring to the Klamath Basin refuges. Then I 100% agree. It's basically been closed up there for the past two years (no water) and officially closed this past season. Sportsman are getting the shaft. 40 million people in CA and not enough water to go around. And more coming from the South every day. They will need housing and water. More people = less water for wildlife.

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Salmon in Yemen

Capt.Gregg

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
2BAC2AFB-7738-4306-A347-E4FDCC900ED7.jpeg