Californians are ruining Idaho

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I recently heard that comment from a guy here who moved from California a few years ago.

A friend who has lived in Idaho most all his life and in Kuna the last 20 says 80% of his new neighbors are coming from California.
Idaho, it was a good 130-year run (July 3, 1890) but your days are numbered.

JoJer

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
What I've been hearing lately is that many, if not most, of the Kalies are farther to the right than the natives.
I moved here from the East 30 years ago. The joke then was you could leave LA at 530 PM and arrive in Boise in 1972. If you saw a black man walking down the street, locals would say, "Must be a basketball game at BSU".
I realized not long ago that when I first moved to Boise, it reminded me of my hometown in the 60's. That's kinda gone, but so am I-I moved west 3 years ago. Caldwell reminds me of-you guessed it- Boise in the 80's.
Lots of folks running in the local primaries have a plank in the platform for limiting growth, preserving the Ag lands that surround the town, and impact fees. The state was stagnant for so long that politicians were aimed at giving tax breaks to attract new businesses that recent events have bit them in the butt. Except for the ones holding real estate licenses and construction companies. They didn't realize that Idaho itself-location, weather, outdoor activities, etc would bring workers here.
Me, I only had to wait about 20 years to get some of the changes I wanted and that I don't think will hurt too much: Decent NY style pizza, close facsimile to a real Italian sub and a good Philly (the way they used to be made) cheesesteak sandwich. With the advent of on-line ordering, I can get Habbersett's Scrapple delivered to my door. I'm good.

Last edited:

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
we were hearing the same about people from California when we moved here in 1991. We moved from the family farm in a county where the total population was probably 15,000. Boise was the big city when we moved there, now it's out of control. We retired and moved to mountain home 4 years ago and have discovered it's not nearly far enough away from the valley. We will be fixing that in the next year or two. I no longer duck hunt, no longer deer or bear hunt. I'd say that for the most part moving to mt home was a mistake, but necessary for my son's business at the time.

Ange

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I recently heard that comment from a guy here who moved from California a few years ago.

A friend who has lived in Idaho most all his life and in Kuna the last 20 says 80% of his new neighbors are coming from California.
Idaho, it was a good 130-year run (July 3, 1890) but your days are numbered.
We saw the same thing in Texas——left five years ago. It was a solid decision. Ted Cruz barely won the last election against Beto O’Rourke.

Mean Gene

Reaction score
"The joke then was you could leave LA at 530 PM and arrive in Boise in 1972."

That's flippin' awesome. :l Of all the people I knew in California that have moved out of state, not one has been a liberal. Everywhere we've been we've heard the same thing: "(insert your favorite state to hate here)ers are ruining this place!" I have a strong suspicion that what is ruining places is growth. Seems to be universal that large population areas are VASTLY different than sparsely populated areas, and that doesn't matter what state you're in, and consequently, large population centers control everything because that's where the votes are.

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
"The joke then was you could leave LA at 530 PM and arrive in Boise in 1972."

That's flippin' awesome. :l Of all the people I knew in California that have moved out of state, not one has been a liberal. Everywhere we've been we've heard the same thing: "(insert your favorite state to hate here)ers are ruining this place!" I have a strong suspicion that what is ruining places is growth. Seems to be universal that large population areas are VASTLY different than sparsely populated areas, and that doesn't matter what state you're in, and consequently, large population centers control everything because that's where the votes are.

I agree with your suspicion that growth is the problem. That growth is mostly coming from California.
"Leave LA at 530 and arrive in Boise in 1972." I too, love that. That's the same way I felt when I visited my wife's small community back in the mid 1980's but I told my friends it felt like the mid 1960's.

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yep these are the benefits , WE here in Calif. , have seen over the years , when out of staters came here to make their fortunes !
Big Corp businesses have a way of luring those willing to relocate and with that comes the Chinese and Mexican roach coaches
that we all love , Haha ! First comes the construction workers , hard hat and nail bag trailer trash as we use to call it . building
not only places of employment but homes for all new arrivals . Wow it's so cheap , with the cost of living so much less , it's like
waving a flag to lure the , proverbial , Bull in the China Shop ! Towns and Cities are so far behind with their infrastructure ( Roads
Sewers , police and fire depts ) you have traffic jams everywhere , and , you have what you asked for , progress ?
Us country Hicks in this crummy state are left with the Liberal movement the city dwellers left behind as the cost of living can't
be earned by blu-collar workers without multiple families living together . Don't worry , Robinhood businesses will show you
just how to do it too !
As Chicken Little says , The Skies Fallen ? That only comes when you're breathing use air !

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
In 2021, 19,000 Californians moved to TN. Most are settling in and around Nashville where they are creating havoc with the real estate market. Lots of cash in their pocket, so to speak, from the sale of their homes in Cali and offering ridiculous amounts over asking price.

Mean Gene

Reaction score
In 2021, 19,000 Californians moved to TN. Most are settling in and around Nashville where they are creating havoc with the real estate market. Lots of cash in their pocket, so to speak, from the sale of their homes in Cali and offering ridiculous amounts over asking price.
Locals always have the price of not taking the higher offers and selling for less to help keep the prices low, right? I hear the same complaint here in Montana constantly, but strangely not one "native" Montanan has refused the bigger money. :tu

My wife's brother is moving here shortly and just got his Montana driver's license. The lady in the DMV office said the two states most people are coming from are Washington, and Florida. Never would have guessed Florida.

Latest posts