California Flyway Forum Sponsors

California's New Water Plan

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Fowl Hunter, Feb 20, 2020.

1. RefugeHunter

RefugeHunter Elite Refuge Member

The tactics may change however the goals of Westlands, MWD, and other straws in in the California Aqueduct have not changed. They are as follows:
    1. Take as much water as possible out of the delta and Northern California rivers and ship it down the canal.
    2. Ensure stable water delivery down the canal.
    Trump is not a friend of ducks or the environment. His stated intent is to maximize the water available for farming businesses.

Speckslayer is right in saying that the current plan has been disastrous for the delta and the environment. But the fact is that the downhill slide started when the delta pumps were put in place. Playing around with when they turn on those pumps may slow the slide but it's never going to be an overall "win" for the ducks and the environment.

Artois likes this.
  2. circlehooker

circlehooker Elite Refuge Member

The big water grab for Ag and people of the southern part of this state will never be happy or give in until every striper, salmon and smelt are extermanated.

blackdog58 likes this.
  3. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

Many of you sound like Pete Buttigieg. You’ve memorized great talking points but have no depth of thought with which to discuss/negotiate an improvement to the situation.

WIGEONATOR and J5KID like this.
  4. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

water-use-figure-2.png
    Both Ag and Urban Water Use Have Fallen in CA over the past two decades

WIGEONATOR likes this.
  5. Pistol

Pistol Senior Refuge Member

Sure I would, but we’ll never know as this will be tied up in lawsuits until well after another administration comes along. As to your 25 year history, all of the best available science, prepared by experts in this field, indicates that there has been far too little water left in the system going well back to beyond 25 years. If we cut exports to the levels indicated by the experts and the fisheries rebounded, would you change your tune and support it?

6. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

I don’t really like that idea as it would wreak havoc on the Central Valley and my community.

But I could accept it as long as we take ALL of their recommendations (I don’t know enough to know what they all are). But if they say to add more water then we need to cut used by everyone, Ag and municipal on equal percentages. If they suggest more fry habitat then we need to move the levees, etc. If they suggest stripers are a problem then we need let people kill all the stripers they want. And every farmer and every city would have eliminate all pollution in a very short time period. Go all in and I’ll support you.

7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

There is only so many pieces in the Pie , population and certain types of commodities (Nut Trees) have over-run our surface water storages !
    It's a shame our SO-CALLED leaders didn't take the last few years reprieve of Drought and create more water banks ? The cost of structural damage
    from over pumping ground water will be beyond our tax payers dreams in the near future . Plain and Simple , don't plant what you don't have water for !
    Regulations and Permiting is our only Salvation ! IMHO

bxcall1 likes this.
  8. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

40,000,000 people and god knows how many acres of trees and asphalt have had far more to do with the decline of the fish and wildlife. These are the real problems. We regulate the water operations. We pay no attention whatever to the more important factors.

WIGEONATOR, letmwurk and API like this.
  9. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

The unfortunate misconception Trump has is the definition of farmers. He lumps them all together. Tree growers and cotton harvesters are not the "farmers" he believes he is protecting

10. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

That's because one decade we were in a drought... the water useage could only go one way... down !!

JuvieCoot likes this.