Call Locking up or Sticking?

J-Quack

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been out hunting public land and grinding through the end of our season here.

During my last two hunts I've had alot of issues with my calls completely locking up on me. From a calling standpoint it almost feels like there's so much back pressure in the call that I cant buzz the reed... is this an issue with the way I blow a call, moisture in the call, or the call itself?

The call sounds amazing when its running and I've killed plenty of birds with it in the last two weeks but have been frustrated by the birds I've had to watch fly by without prospecting a greeting or two.

John

Birdcrazy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you are doing but you might want to put another call on your string. Will come in handy for those times you get lock up.

15thTN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

auto5

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t sound like you’re hunting an RM

A5B

Refuge Member
Reaction score
When my calls lock up. Its because of moisture in the call.

Cheap knock off can off PAM from the dollar store, take it apart, spray the guts and let dry. Normally last a few hunts before I have too do it again. But it completely stops the lock up/sticking. No matter how wet the call gets are how cold it is.

Now these are dirt cheap plastic calls. I tune my own calls too what I like. Not sure how it would work on the higher dollar acrylic calls.

jrode237

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
+2. Be mindful the bow of the reed faces up, when you reassemble.
I think (hope) you mean down? As in, the natural flex of the Reed when gently squeezed between 2 fingers should make a "U" shape.....the bottom of the "U" goes towards the tone board so the ends of the "U" naturally push away from the tone board when air is introduced into the call.

15thTN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We're saying the same thing.