Call Locking up or Sticking?

salthunter

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago my call was having some sort of problems, ended up the reed was splitting

Billy hill

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Reelfoot lake metal reed. Kellys Kalls makes some. Volume when you need it. Never sticks. I get them coming and switch to a softer call. Turns birds over open water.

GulfCoast

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
I think (hope) you mean down? As in, the natural flex of the Reed when gently squeezed between 2 fingers should make a "U" shape.....the bottom of the "U" goes towards the tone board so the ends of the "U" naturally push away from the tone board when air is introduced into the call.
I always remember it as "the cup points up, and the round points down." I can tell you I have purchased more than one "famous brand" call, it just did not sound right, pull the cork, and VIOLA, the reed was installed upside down. Sheesh.

15thTN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I always remember it as "the cup points up, and the round points down." I can tell you I have purchased more than one "famous brand" call, it just did not sound right, pull the cork, and VIOLA, the reed was installed upside down. Sheesh.
He has the right idea, just the wrong terminology.

stumpjumper0531

Elite Refuge Member
Sponsor
Reaction score
20230201_154249.jpg

Happy reeds are good

20230201_154301.jpg

Sad reeds are bad

STUMP