Cameron Parish ranked #1 for ducks per FWS 10 year average

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by WuChang, Mar 19, 2020.

1. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

I don’t fear the results that would come from any proposed changes in baiting laws unless that meant manipulation suddenly became legal. No way could it get any worse than the last two years.

Furthermore I have defied the odds my entire life in my ability to harvest more ducks than most while hunting amongst the masses.

Outlawing hunting over unharvested crops. Bring it on!

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

You're probably right, just the thought of such a force should scare the hoards away.

ducaholic likes this.
  3. Cliner

Cliner Elite Refuge Member

I'm intrigued, what would you quantify as large enough to hoard? Follow up question; would that quantification only pertain to one continuous piece of land or multiple fields next to each other?

4. jrchip1

jrchip1 Elite Refuge Member

Slight diversion: Remember the late 80's all you old farts?

5. Rick Hall

Unlike the guys who loved the 3/30 years, I too distinctly remember a one green-wing second split opener in what is still a well above average spot today. Specks saved the morning, but we were in what once was and became again a fine duck spot next to the Florence Club.

6. ducaholic

Any continuous tract large enough to hold enough birds to impact local distribution of waterfowl. That could be multiple fields adjacent to one another managed in a similar fashion. Hard to put an acreage total on it but if I had to put a number on it I’d say 1000 acres or more.

I’m aware of a 2000 acre tract of multiple unharvested rice fields that held 30-35 K for most of the season.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Cliner likes this.
  7. ducaholic

Your sarcasm made me chuckle. Others might not find the force as entertaining.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  8. Engstfeld

Engstfeld Elite Refuge Member

Chang, would live to see something akin to this for doves. I’ve searched but to no avail. If you know of a URL, please pass along.

9. Rick Hall

My last ag land blind was one of three we used on a half-section of land (that the previous lessee had buried seven blinds on), and we were still able to maintain a "refuge" area (by not telling Doug about the other blinds being serviceable) that held birds and most definitely impacted the local distribution of waterfowl. Might be frustrating to watch them mill on days nothing wanted to move, but they drew a lot of new game that didn't know its ropes to the farm.

10. ducaholic

Last year was my first hunting ag since the 70's. I had 450 acres of partially harvested rice and beans flooded. What I found is if you are not getting weather and new birds what is there simply hops around and avoids the area where hunters are present anytime after the first 30 mins of daylight. We held anywhere from 300-1000 birds for all of January depending on how much pressure we applied but rarely could we fool them after the first 30 mins of hunting. It was very frustrating. The last two weeks of the season I pulled the boards on a little more than half of the acreage and we hunted two blinds on opposite ends of the lease. That concentrated them a bit more and allowed some success but nothing to write home about.