Cameron Parish ranked #1 for ducks per FWS 10 year average

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by WuChang, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Since we generally shot the same blinds twice a day, I doubt we ever shot many of our localized residents, but have absolutely no doubt that they helped draw fresh trafficking birds to the farm, both when we weren't and when we were there.

2. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Hopefully we have more new arrival traffic this year. That just wasn't the case last year with the winter we had. We are going to start out with 200 acres flooded this year and work our way up as the rains come in hopes of keeping some fresh ground for later in the season. We had a good first split by in large that tapered off drastically after Christmas and January. Having full autonomy to manage the property is something that I did enjoy even if the results were not as good as we had hoped.

3. Rick Hall

Sounds like a plan. No water draws puddlers and geese like scarcely more than puddled sheet water. And while nearly all of our rice ground renters have wanted a foot of water, and farmers planning to crawfish a field after the season pretty much dictate the same, I'd rather hunt over literal puddles than crawfish water on ag land.

Here's hoping last year wasn't representative of future flight days to what good habitat's left...

4. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Speaking of geese my spec calling sucks. We had 100 or so on the property a couple of times and enough local traffic that a good caller would have been able to bag a few almost daily. Any words of wisdom on how to improve?

As for water level I'm shooting to maintain 4-6 inches max.

5. LADucks

LADucks Senior Refuge Member

Nathan Wright with Redbone has very in-depth videos on Youtube. Bill Daniels with Riceland has some good ones as well, just much less detailed. Neither will steer you wrong. If you've got the time and willingness, check out Nathan's.

6. Rick Hall

"Redleg" here and "JohnC" on the other board would likely be as good of a source of calling reference ideas as you'll find. I'm strictly a meat and potatoes caller who fishes until he gets a bite and tries to pay attention to what prompted it.

7. Engstfeld

Engstfeld Elite Refuge Member

Twas surprised to see Tensas so poorly ranked.

8. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

could not find an interactive for doves
    Did find 53 years of data in Dove Population 2020 report
    Did have data by state but no details to smaller areas within state

9. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

Very interesting info. Thanks for posting.