Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Camo dipping at home

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by 2cupped, Oct 13, 2015.

1. 2cupped

2cupped New Member

Has anyone tried these camo dip kits out? www.camodipkit.com

If so, what kind of results did you get?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Yes. Terrible results. Read the reviews across the internet. I will see if I can find my past thread.

3. 2cupped

2cupped New Member

Is it just that kit or is it all at-home dipping kits...

4. 2cupped

2cupped New Member

I also have found this site which seems to offer a slightly different version - www.camoDIY.com

5. Native NV Ducker

Couple of past threads, including (first) the one on mydipkit.
    http://refugeforums.com/refuge/threads/dipped-guns-diy.806434/

Another relevant thread..(read both pages)
    http://refugeforums.com/refuge/threads/gun-dipping.969631/

to answer your last question, yes, I think the quality of the dip film matters. Obviously, since the pro's do a nice job. Where are these DIY kit sellers getting their films????

As I mention on page 2 of the 2nd thread, I am a fan of Mossy Oaks Graphics. Been 3 years now, I think, maybe 2, and the only problems are spots that get abused, like the bottom of the action, where I use the gun to press down on the barb wire, to cross a fence. Easily repaired, if I wanted to. But, barrels, stocks, actions, all holding up well.

6. 2cupped

2cupped New Member

I have heard about Mossy Oak Graphics... I am also heard of Gun Skinz - http://www.camoskinz.com/gun-camo-kits.htm - which I assume are a similar product but offer other colors besides Mossy Oak? I may go that route. Thanks for your help...

7. Native NV Ducker

MOG is about $29, looks like the camoskinz are $54. And, yea, I bet they are the same stuff. Sort of like a cross between duct tape and electrical tape. Tougher than ET, but you can make it soft and pliable with light heat, which you can't do with duct.
    Is it showroom quality? Nope. Is it good protection, fairly easy to do, and inexpensive? Yup. And, if you tear it (like crossing a fence) just cut the torn part away, and put a scrap piece over it.

Good luck in your quest.

8. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Yeah !
    Now my wives tub is done in Nat. Gear.

kazz and Clayton like this.
  9. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Camoclad is another option. Looks about the same price as MOG. I've been using it on my shotguns for maybe 6 or so years. I covered my 50Yammie with it last year .... looks great and holds up well. For the guns I just buy the sheets and cut out my own, but they have the kits as well.

10. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

HOME KITS are no good! Have it done by a pro and be done with it!