Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Camo dipping at home

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by 2cupped, Oct 13, 2015.

1. 2cupped

2cupped New Member

I am surprised Camoclad is still in business.... Heard they lost all the rights to Realtree and Mossy Oak...

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Lots of other (and in some cases, better) patterns out there besides those two.

3. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

4. ncswamphunter

ncswamphunter Refuge Member

I took a used 870 express and painted it tan with regular spray paint. I then used a fern leaf as a stencil and made a sort of camo pattern using olive green paint. I went over it with a matte clear finish, but didn't let it dry long enough between coats so I had some bubbling. I know what to do now and touch it up. It was cheap but worked well for an inexpensive gun that is going to see tough conditions. Since I am only 5'5", length of pull is an issue with me on a lot of guns, so I took the butt stock off and shortened it about an inch and a half by wrapping it with masking tape to prevent chipping and cutting it on our table saw. It's not very pretty but I have shot quite a few ducks with it at very close range and I didn't break the bank. When it gets to looking too bad, I'll just paint it again.