Can someone update me on JJ Lares calls?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by SkyJacker, Feb 23, 2021.

1. drk9988

drk9988 Elite Refuge Member

I know it's all said in jest....but.......Truth is I would consider you lucky to ever get the opportunity to own a wood RM...I enjoy his wood customs they are some of the finest calls ever made. :reader

2. pounder

pounder Elite Refuge Member

It seems that never did heal very well:l:l

3. pounder

The thing being...I'm simply not interested....looks don't kill birds. Calls don't have to cost $200-$400 to bring mallards into range....cheap Primos and Gardner calls have been doing it for decades and keep doing it year after year...are they eye-catching and visually appealing?....not really....do they work?...yes they do....that's the bottom line

Starduck likes this.
  4. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

As the saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". All that matters is what makes you happy :tu

5. pounder

exactly...if it works for me...I'll stick with it

6. Starduck

Starduck New Member

[QUOTE = "drk9988, сообщение:
    I used to call Bret yesterday , but no any response from his side , unfortunately. Also , no any chance to leave the msg on voicemail.

7. Bamawaterfowler

Bamawaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Lake Okeechobee and Patrick AFB in S. Florida
    was stationed at Edward AFB in California from 2010-2013. Summer if 2011, my hunting partner and I journeyed to Chico to see Mr Lares AKA "The Wizard" in his shop, his garage. Met Mr Lares and Brett there in the garage and had one of the most fun/surreal days of my life. Spent the entire day there, talking duck hunting, duck calls, got a tour, and watched him turn some calls. Brett turned a green linen micarta call for me -- I think one of the last he did as the nasty stuff gave him a headache. Mr Lares then turned an aluminum hybrid, one for me and one for my hunting friend. Mr Lares designed dentist equipment and the machinery to make them; an incredibly smart engineer and approached duck calls with the same engineering mindset. Super nice folks, great duck call makers, and Brett is a heck of a caller. Still one of my humble life hi-lights. Next, I gotta find time to head to New London, NC and visit another call legend! all the best all -- and be safe! B

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Up until Covid used to see Brett a few times a year at various waterfowl festivals in Northern Ca. He has no problem selling what he makes. They have a little one as well, so always tough. I think he prefers the Upper Duck setup. I need to run up to the shop one of these days.

mtncntrykid and TheCanMan like this.
  9. pounder

I used the e mail ....sent a message last Thurs. and got an answer a couple hours ago....so they are keeping track of it

mudhen likes this.
  10. fowlplay

fowlplay Senior Refuge Member

I called this morning and left a VM. Bret called back a couple hours later and took my order over the phone. Nice guy.

Flyfisher and pounder like this.