Decoy Forum Sponsors

Can we get carvers to help ?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Aunt Betty, May 22, 2021.

1. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

One of my favorite things about all the forums I've used was the "traveler decoys". It's for fun and glamor? I never quite got it but enjoyed the banter about where "Jake the drake" is and who shot him.
    Lol
    Can we do that? I'm not sure but maybe sponsors sponsored a decoy. Not sure how it works I tried and failed to revive the tradition.
    It's only late May we have lots of time to do it up right. Anyone interested?
    Cmon It's fun.

Out of focus likes this.
  2. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

I also enjoyed those traveling decoys. As social media took over the internet the numbers of hunters/carvers on here dropped. The last few travelers died on the vine I think. I haven't hunted in 3 years but almost went last year. When you age out and the spark goes away and it's no fun you'll understand... but I'm setting on 250-300 mostly cork decoys (70% are from my bench) and I could donate one as a traveler. They aren't all show pieces but they've all been blooded. Problem most all are divers and used. In the past it's been a new decoy and most prefer a puddler.

Haven't made a new decoy , other than canvas swans, in several years. Maybe some one will jump in here and volunteer to make a "park duck" that will spark interest in a traveler?

dog duck gun and Out of focus like this.
  3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Two out of the three-and-a-half traveling duck decoys I've hosted were divers. Have had a buffy (that complained loudly about the fire ant hill I sat him on for the previous photo in his travel log):
    upload_2021-5-24_4-33-51.jpeg

a canvasback with a half-pint rubber sidekick (shown stuck in my mud hole's "pond"):
    upload_2021-5-24_4-37-47.jpeg

and a wigeon we let play with a buddy's grandsons:
    upload_2021-5-24_4-54-35.jpeg

Well, there was that one "odd duck," too:
    upload_2021-5-24_4-44-48.jpeg

Out of focus likes this.
  4. Aunt Betty

My name is on one of the travelers from way back.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Did it arrive at your place with rotten oranges? Became the custom to include a local souvenir or hunt keepsake in the box, and a few of us put something in for the next recipient, as well. I made what turned out the mistake of putting a couple satsumas in for a fellow from TN, who, rather than eating them, made the mistake of sending them on along to someone who did likewise and so on until...yuck.

6. Aunt Betty

Have to ask Jacob..Decoy was sent to him and he brought it with him to hunt at the lake. We actually had a kill n cook. I always dream of doing that but it rarely happens. If there's a crew or team that regularly cooks the days kill and eats it so they can go shoot more...I WANT IN ON THAT PLEASE.

7. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

I offered to do that for this fall, back in January or February...

Have a shoveler pattern drawn up and working on a redhead. Figured one puddler and one diver. MJ asked for dibs on first hunt, I figured I'd send the shoveler to him. Going to try and do more old school style wooden decoy like a St. Clair flats bird, rather than heavy detail, but we'll see where they wind up...

Out of focus and Billy Bob like this.
  8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I participated in a traveling decoys several seasons ago (probably four or five by now). Hunted over it (wigeon decoy), and sent it on to the next guy. As I recall, about three guys further down the line it disappeared, never to be seen or heard from again.
    It may have been on the other big duck hunting forum......

9. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

Aunt Betty’s BWT decoy made it to Louisiana then to Kentucky before it vanished last season. Hopefully we can get one to span the continent this season.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I think the season ending is why it disappeared. If anyone knows who had it last maybe we can get him to start the new season with it.