Can You Call Ducks?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Sep 20, 2019.

1. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

It’s when and where they are that matters
    You have to know how to line em up to finish ducks and pull em into the slots

The sounds are way less important

It’s all timing
    I hunt w folks who can blow circles on a call around me
    But some don’t know jack about when or where to hit em

And when to let up or hammer down

hhpage and bill cooksey like this.
  2. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

Tim was one of the best canada goose callers that ever lived.....not so much on a duck call.

P

3. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

I suck at duck calling. So I sit there w/ a cigar and a cup of coffee while I let my buds call...

newduk likes this.
  4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

Are you kidding me, he was an amazing duck caller.:yes:yes:yes

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I can read and call ducks, it's not hard at all. It just takes enough time in the field to learn it. Like said above, it's about when to get on them and when to lay off. Read that little hesitation as they're flying away and get on em then shut up.

That said, I really prefer to set up and hunt how and where I don't have to call to put birds in my lap. I shoot a lot of 15-25 yards ducks, feet down without ever touching a call. It's more satisfying to me to know I've done my homework and didn't need to pull them to me because I'm already where they want to go.

Spoonie16 likes this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

I've called if a few, mainly the easy ones like the peeper's.:l;)
    Hell, if we didn't call and call hard we'd never kill a duck, we aren't hunting them where they want to be. We gotta drag'um to us, or we are watching the show.:yes

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Wrote this in 2007 for some guys asking about it on uplandjournal.com, and it's still a good thumbnail of my approach:

At its tactical core, calling ducks is about momentum: creating it, breaking it, maintaining it and, sometimes, just not getting in its way. So I take my calling cues by paying attention to the birds' momentum.

If the location and decoys are doing my job for me, and the birds want to come to the guns, I'll let 'em. Calling only enough to keep them coming if they waver and/or to put them "right there". Not getting in the way of birds that want to work was little doubt the inspiration for the old saw about calling only to tail feathers and wing tips.

By the same token, if the birds haven't shown me their intent, I'll call just enough to get our hat in the ring. And if they jump for it, chances are they can be finessed the rest of the way by tickling them "on the corners". Again letting the birds' momentum do most of the work.

But if birds blow off a simple greeting and drive on toward parts unknown, I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by hitting them hard with the call. Here again, if they're quick to turn to it, they'll probably do most of the work from there on in.

And if they don't turn to, I really amp it up, watching for any little wink or blink of a wing suggesting the jackhammer will work if I can just crank it up a little louder and longer. When I can't get anything to flirt, I'm only out some wind. But when something will wink or blink, and I don't run out of wind, our chances of getting shooting out of it are excellent.

Wasn't always so, however, because when I'd worked that hard to break something off a flock or turn the bunch, I worried about over calling and backed off as they headed to us - only to lose them when I did. Took me a lot more such losses than I'm happy admitting to realize that even when I turned the whole flock and not just a bird or two from it, the real momentum was still headed toward whatever was drawing them away in the first place and might well stay that way. Many such birds are either coaxed all the way to the guns or lost, presumably to their prior destination.

If there's a "rule" to such things, it may be that the harder birds are to turn in the first place, the more likely the need to call to their faces until you call the shot. "Tails and tips" be damned.

Very often, too, we'll see that birds within hailing range appear deaf, because they're zeroed in on another nearby spot, and our best efforts aren't turning them. We can't break the momentum toward that location within their view, like we could toward a distant, perhaps less tangible, goal.

But it's often the case that we can then use their own momentum against such birds by letting those apparently locked on such a spot go to it, break down for it, and then, when their circling heads them our general direction, calling to their faces to keep them headed our way, perhaps thinking there might be a better deal just a little farther on. Or just caught up in the call.

Again, though, don't let up as they approach or pass a good shot hoping for a better one, because they've already shown that what they really want is over yonder.

And that's more than enough of that for a while. Lots and lots of other tactical stuff, including gosh knows how many under the label "most important thing" or "secrets" that probably aren't. But I think a fellow who really pays attention to momentum and calls accordingly has a far better foundation to build on than most.

8. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Here's my opinion,the trick to calling waterfowl is when to call and when not to call. I see and hear a lot of hunters(not waterfowlers) call non stop or call at ducks that were coming right in the decoys and it scares the crap out of them.
    look at the bird,watching the wing beats will usually tell you what its going to do. If the bird goes on by,then you can call to it and get a reaction. Let's face it, some birds you can't do nothing with no matter who is blowing the call or what it sounds like. I've called in a lot of waterfowl to the decoys but I think it's the "curiosity factor" that gets them in close. Ha ha.

Juan De likes this.
  9. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I can call deer, turkeys, coyotes, quail, doves, bobcats, foxes, even songbirds. I have called in geese without a call. I cannot call ducks. Doesn't stop me from trying.

10. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I can call ducks...……………..sometimes! :D

callinfowl likes this.