Can You Call Ducks?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Sep 20, 2019.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Callin is right about Tim. He was VERY good on a duck call. I've hunted with him and competed against him. Had he worked on it like he did goose he likely could have won the World.

I also agree in thinking that isn't Tim on the audio. Could be wrong, but the feed, and a few other licks, just aren't up to par. Also, can't imagine him blowing a call over two minutes without stopping to talk.

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Can’t call ducks, don’t have their number. But I whisper “flooded corn” and they pile into gun range.

auto5, JP and 10GAGENUT like this.
  3. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

You guys may very well be right. All I had to go off of was the title of the video.

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

A duck call in my hands is considered a dangerous weapon, never could do it properly and I've come to the conclusion I never will.

callinfowl and MJ like this.
  5. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Im alright on ducks. Being here in goose country, unless im hunting with a certain group of guys it is a rare day I have the luxury of being able to put the call down and be an indian. Most guys straight up suck at calling geese. I take great pleasure in being able to pull geese off of other spreads when guys set up too close to me. I can call geese quite well but I dont claim to be an expert. Your average hunter just sets the bar real low and couldnt read a goose if it had a sign on it.

6. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I think I am a better Canada and speck caller than I am duck caller.
    Getting a duck or small flock to turn or come back my way is one thing (and I am by no means an expert) but "finishing " them is where I suck.

Someone said experience and time in the field practicing is needed and I agree. Thing is, I dont want to practice, per se, in the field and be "that guy", like all the other public land hunters, who blow their damn kazoos all day every day trying to break a bird from the heavens.

MJ likes this.
  7. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

I knew it wasn't Tim by the third note, choppy single quacks that didn't tail off and the feed sounded rushed, like he was trying way to hard, the guy on the recordings cadence was choppy and didn't flow like they would've if Tim was blowing that call.
    Not a bad caller at all but pretty ok really, but not a stand out caller and you can tell it wasn't someone like Tim blowing the thing. Tim blew duck and goose calls damn near every day of his life tuning and tweaking them for his customers, the man was smooth.

This video kills me.....hahahahaha.
    I have a few spots that I know for a fact that would pull birds into.

stevena198301 and bill cooksey like this.
  8. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I don't know if reading ducks is easy, but I can do it. I think it just takes some patience and attention to detail. I use the old rule, if they are coming don't call or call lightly. Also if you find something the ducks like, stick with it. One day we were hunting the river, and the ducks liked a certain double quack. It ended up that it's all I used the rest of the hunt. The ducks couldn't resist it. Unless your sitting on a bait pile, calling is something your going to need to do, at least a little. To me the difference between competition calling and hunting is, you only have to call enough to kill the ducks when your hunting.

I just watched the video, wow just wow. Looks like I'm going to buy some shakers.

callinfowl likes this.
  9. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

I would've quit hunting years ago if I couldn't call them, tricking ducks gets me off way more than killing them. I'd still go out into the marsh even if we couldn't kill them. The hard locks and when they turn inside out to get back to you, when they are hunting the calls when you're well hidden is literally at least 60% of the thrill for me. I've hunted many days when I never lifted the gun and just sat back and told guys when to take'um and had a blast.
    This is pretty much way I hate electric decoys, guys don't have to be good callers and can just sit back and spin them into gun range on many days.......not cool in my opinion.
    Guys say that they can't call ducks, b.s. if you can blow a whistle you can call in pretty much every duck there is, even mallards and divers.

10. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

I consider myself excellent. Learned from Rod Haydel.
    Took his brother Kelly after he won a Junior competition to a huge DU GreenWing event as the calling expert and demo’s. They loved him. I went early that morning and picked him up at his house. My Dad’s dad and my Dad were excellent callers, old Faulks calls and Olts, the old black ones. I have their calls in a case. We own about a 70 acre willow hole off of Red River my grandfather bought from an old guy in the early 70’s. At times its good, sometimes its just a good morning to get out. I call till until we shoot. Ditto on the blue wing teal call from Haydels. Just sound like your laughing in it. But my grandfather used to say the old man that owned the old duck hole was a great caller, better than all of us. I asked what kind of call did he have?
    My grandfather said a big tin pan with cracked corn in it. He could shake it with the best of them.
    HA!

callinfowl likes this.