Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Can you suggest any good river to canoe down?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Just got back from a awesome canoe trip down the Wisconsin River. Took over a week but awesome river, teaming with wildlife and scenery. We just camp along to way, so easy and fun. Any cool rivers you know of or have floated?

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Go to Fairbanks. Hop in the Tanana..paddle down to the Chena and two days later you're in Nenana.
    Think you could manage it.
    Pack a pistol and a scoped rifle. It's alaska...things can eat you there

3. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

Colyell bayou in Livingston Parish, LA. Big beautiful cypress lined banks and quiet.

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

The Current, Jacks Fork and another I can't remember the name of are all good in Southeast Mo.

5. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

My son and I used to do a 3 day float trip down the Shenandoah in VA. Great smallmouth bass fishing along the way. It was National Park on the left side with unimproved (and quiet) campsites and the rowdy campsites on the right side. There used to be an outfitter at the take out spot and we'd camp there the first night and they'd put your canoe and gear on a trailer and run you up to your put in point the next morning. Very convenient.

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

Boundary Waters canoe area wilderness. 120 miles of canoe trails. I haven't done it, but some friends in MN go back year after year. In my area, Grass River is pretty stunning. Follows famous north track for trading routes. More info at myccr.com or wiki search for grass river manitoba. Personally I go into a couple of little lakes that have two 1/4 mile portages in. And I've never seen another human being in them. I do enjoy having my own private camping and fishing spot.

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Buffalo River in Arkansas

GHK, JHS76, Sunklands and 6 others like this.
  8. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I've done the boundary waters. For the first 5 days it's glorious then the weather turned and we couldn't get out fast enough. Nine days totally sucked. We got sort of in survival mode and ...it wasn't fun at all. We had 35 canoes and 70 ppl.

Fowler267 likes this.
  9. orangelegs73

orangelegs73 Refuge Member

Second the Boundary Waters. Did a week-long excursion with three buddies right after graduating college. Some of the portages were challenging but the scenery was amazing, had small good smallie fishing, and we didn't see another human until the final portage on the way out. My only regret is having not gone back since...

JHS76 and Fowler267 like this.
  10. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Yep Schitt's Creek..

Banded1, JHS76, texduk3 and 2 others like this.