Can you suggest any good river to canoe down?

Flyfisher

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
everytime I hear canoe float I think of my buddy who was a world champ kayaker..he has a story from the Congo where one of the dudes on the Lakuga River got snatched in front of everybody by a croc!!! So, in short, I dont recommend the Lakuga.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Spent many a weekend tromping around and paddling through the Ozarks during my college years in the mid-70s. The rivers that stand out in my now 40+ year old memories are the Buffalo, Current, Eleven Point and Spring rivers. All can be paddled by people of all abilities. Moving water but only class 1 to 1-1/2 with the occasional class 2 rapid.

Also the Tennessee Buffalo River (different than the Arkansas Buffalo). Not as picturesque as the Arkansas streams, but quicker to get to if you are coming from AL, GA or middle to East TN.

All nice rivers. I'd probably leave off the Spring unless you are interested in the hide, beer and weed. I almost mentioned the Buffalo in TN, but I'm not sure how much is open to camping anymore.

Foxwood

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you can work out the logistics, I think you would enjoy floating down either the Nile or the Eufrates River
I've actually been on the upper Nile coming out of Lake Victoria. Whole lot of crocs and hippos for my taste.

Shirleyshusband

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

oskar

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Lip Shooter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I used to take a group of Explorer Scouts on a Lower Wisconsin River canoe trip great fun.

The Namekagon from Cable down. We always did it in the spring before the tourists got there, even got snowed on a couple times.

There are some good books on river trails for most states.

Best Rivers for Canoeing in Wisconsin | Travel Wisconsin

Canoeing, Kayaking and Rafting, Wisconsin Trail Guide

books
canoe trails book - Bing
Great suggestion, we did the Nam to Saint Croix to Sippi last year, nice trip I think the Wisco river was a tat better for me.