Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Canada 2019

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Geez n Quackers, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Another incredible year visiting our neighbors to the north. It was a bit of a roller coaster until we got it dialed in. Started out great with a first stop check at one of our favorite roosting lakes. Lots of snows and a farmer right beside the roost lake that had just swathed a field of oats. we were watching the birds from the roost attack his swaths when he went flying into the field in his truck trying to chase them away. It was a little surprising the way he was ripping all over his swaths! He came up to us and asked if we had decoys and could we stay set up in his field. He was cussing those birds and pleading with us to kill them all! We obliged him. Shot them in there for two days until his harvesting got close enough that we had to abandon the spot. Funny, we asked him if we could clean our birds in his field if we throw the carcasses into a bushy area out of sight. He said you can throw them all over my field as a warning to their kind!

Unfortunately, the birds were keeping in one big mass and feeding in only a very few spots. Combine this with farmers that did not want you to hunt the harvested fields, only swathed fields. Makes sense as they did not want hunters pushing birds feeding in a harvested field out of a field they could do no damage to and into their swaths. On top of that, with the drought and lack of ducks, every duck hunter we talked to had switched to snows.

We typically scout and hunt every single day. Missing a day of hunting up there, in our opinion, should not happen. And we missed two days due to lack of an opportunity. So on that second day, I went quite a ways out and away from the other hunters, found a major concentration, and the rest of our hunts were primo. Never ran into another hunter in that area.

Btw, the ratio we were seeing for dirty birds was incredible. It may provide for good hunting this spring!
    IMG_2621.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG t34

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

Just curious, what province were you in? We had to switch to snows , as we couldn't find a puddle duck to save our life. Normally I'll kill at least 100-200 mallards each fall, I don't think I shot 10 this year. Snows were the saving grace. Here is one of my favorite pics , actually my last hunt , and the first snow goose hunt for a young female hunter (who owns this truck). [​IMG]

hunting1 likes this.
  3. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the report, I too am optimistic about the spring with what we saw!

4. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Saskatchewan bang. BTW, that's a good way for your friend to start out. We only shot a handful of ducks over our snow spread and saw very few while hunting, though I did see some decent numbers of ducks on water in limited areas in the hill country. We are never targeting ducks and pass on them when snows are working or in the area, but we typically shoot more and pass on a lot of opportunities that we did not see this fall.

5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

We have been shooting plenty of ducks over our goose decoys over many years. This year was the first time we did not shot at any ducks in a week of hunting.