Canadian Full Moon October 13

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Littlesturgeon, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Littlesturgeon

Littlesturgeon New Member

Whats everyones thoughts about the Full Moon. October 13! Go before, after, during.... what will it do to the ducks?

2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

They will feed at night. If you have a loafing spot or pond, you might be good.

3. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

I love hunting Canada during the full moon. This year we planned our trip around it. Step outside at night and you'll hear geese flying in. In the past we have noticed a good influx of birds during the full moon.

4. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

I have hunted Canada for 15 plus years, field hunting for geese mostly. In all those years I have never seen ducks or geese come out of a field in the dark

5. grande long

grande long Senior Refuge Member

If you get the full moon warm and no wind together it can get slow.the moon itself I don't worry about been going every year since 98 the birds don't do much nite feeding in the field because of the coyotes.

6. whiskyjack

whiskyjack Refuge Member

Oct 13th is right around the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday. It can be a great time to be out hunting, esp if we get an Indian Summer.
    I love hunting then, game in general is on the move, days and cool nights. Ducks will be in the fields almost constantly. As was mentioned above, if you can find loafing water, it can get interesting quickly.

7. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Are you more concerned about ducks? Are geese on your itinerary?

Generally the moon phase is not a big deal up here, the weather is much bigger factor. On snotty days the ducks and geese will certainly be on the feed bag. Great weather for duck hunting, but I prefer stable weather for geese where they feed twice a day in a predictable routine, you can pattern the birds and gives time to get out in the field and set up without bumping birds for afternoon hunts if so inclined. You can bump ducks with reasonable certainty they should come back,, not necessary the case with geese

A change in the weather generally means a change in bird patterns. Geese often use the weather change to switch out fields particularly if the current field is starting to run thin on feed. Sure they will come back for the first day or so but an extended spell of bad weather ussualy means the geese move on to another field, county, country etc.

After 2 to 4 days of heavy feeding I have seen the ducks quit flying for a couple days with a change back to balmy weather. This can happen full moon or not, but it seems exaggerated if it happens at full moon. Geese will still feed but for shorter duration on the field and usually come out out later in the evening.

Cloudy weather has the birds flying earlier in the afternoon, makes for good afternoon hunting.

Bright frosty mornings can delay the morning flight.

canada, Lastflight and KID CREOLE like this.