Decoy Forum Sponsors

carving suggestions...

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by kansasgoose, Jul 31, 2019.

1. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If you are going to make a hunting bird I would rethink that, that brings a whole bunch of problems for an experienced carver much less a new one. I would plan on making a smooth hunting bird. I have been carving for 35 years and have never attempted to carved feathers. “slick” birds are all I have ever done.
    If you are familiar with “The Peter Principle”, that’s where I am at and totally recognize that fact.
    I think your bird is salvageable, I would use a handsaw and work on the area in back of the head, you will be able to gain that “roundness” everyone is seeking. Cut it at an angle from the back to the head.
    If you and Swamplv, Tom can get together would benefit greatly. Tom is a World Class carver and painter. I would finish your bird even though to you it is a clunker, there have been millions of ducks killed over worse birds than yours. I have collected antique decoys for almost 40 years and know of which I speak.
    It appears that your body is red cedar, if you use oil paint you are going to have to seal the hell out of it or the resin in the wood will make your oil paint not stick. I would plan on using latex paint.
    If you were to quit carving it now and paint it I will guarantee that it will not scare the ducks and that they would toll to it. Good luck and keep us tuned in.

2. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

As I have told many a kid who got a little too aggressive with the tools...

We can fix that. That shelf/neck line is nothing a little bondo and some wood putty can’t help round out.

Don’t give up yet.

3. Sleddman

Sleddman Senior Refuge Member

kan goose, i agree with you about just finishing this decoy and starting to plan for the next decoy. i will look for pics of my first hunting decoy, lol. we all started with that first one. believe me it gets better with each decoy. you will enjoy the hobby.

Tuleman likes this.
  4. slough hunter

slough hunter New Member

20190210_100850.jpg Keep at it. Its amazing what you can accomplish over a span of time. My wife made me keep the first bird I ever carved and I like to pull it out once in a while to compare. At least for me nothing compares watching a live bird land with something you have created with your own two hands.

Sleddman, WHUP ! Hen and goodluck like this.
  5. Phil in MO

Phil in MO Elite Refuge Member

I'll chime in and backup what the others have said. Keep at it and work on one area of the block at a time. I was told NUMEROUS times to think of an egg. The roundness of it for the head, cheeks, breast, body. There are only a few semi-straight lines on a duck. Make a way to go see Tom, he taught me most of what I know and he's a good man.

WHUP ! Hen and Sleddman like this.
  6. kansasgoose

kansasgoose Senior Refuge Member

I did go ahead with a new block. I also went too watch swamplvr carve a bird, that was very helpful, Thank you! This in my new attempt. Still plenty of mistakes made, but I feel I made some improvement. Thanks too Tom, I feel I have a much better feel for the "flow" of a bird. If I had a bandsaw, I think I could make more progress faster, but I use what I have.
    duck1.JPG duck2.JPG duck3.JPG

bird junkie, GK1, Phil in MO and 5 others like this.
  7. Sleddman

Sleddman Senior Refuge Member

good job goose, keep up the good work. each one will show a little progress.

8. SWAMPLVR

SWAMPLVR Elite Refuge Member

Huge leap forward. What is that dishes out area under the tail?

9. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

• kansasgoose, I think I would work the bump under the the tail off. I think it will look much better to guys like us, it won’t make a helluva lot of difference to the ducks though. Good job.

double limit likes this.
  10. kansasgoose

kansasgoose Senior Refuge Member

swamplvr- the dished out part under the tail is a gouge that needed taking out. Just a mistake on my part. I think it looks better now than it did with the mark in it.

Whup!hen- I like the underside of the tail and how it comes too a "bump". My current carving has the same bump, but more rounded. Like you said, ducks won't care either way.